Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Walmart fabric >

Walmart fabric

Walmart fabric

Old 09-15-2011, 11:34 AM

I just received a flyer today announcing the return of our fabric dept. and the pictures showed rows of beautiful color and fabric choices, titaniam scissors only $6.97 and up. I have to say I just may be paying them a visit real soon and checking out the quality of the fabric since so many of you have raved about the fabrics. :D :D :D
Old 09-15-2011, 12:09 PM

A member of our local quilt group called WM headquarters in Arkansas & was told that EVENTUALLY all WM will get fabric dept. back. However, when I asked my WM dept. friend, I was told that yes, that was correct but it will be when our new supercenter is built. Right now the Super WM is just a dream, so maybe someday....
Old 09-15-2011, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by meant2be
I purchased a yard of fabric from a LQS for $9.00 a yard and decided later I wanted more. They were sold out so I looked for it on the Internet and couldn't find it. I called the company listed on the selvage and was told they manufactured it for Walmart under a different name and item number. I did go to Walmart and they had the fabric for $4.47 per yd. I purchased the whole bolt but when I got home and compared it to what I had bought at the quilt shop I could immediately feel the difference in the quality of the two fabrics. Not knocking Walmart, just saying you get what you pay for.
They do have different grades or blanks they print the fabric on. When Cranston VIP fabric was in the production of their prints they had three levels of quality. The lower grade was sold to big box stores such as Walmart and Joann's and Handcocks. The LQS could buy the same prints but they bought the better quality. Many fabric companies do the same thing now. Just as designer clothing is sold in different grades. My motto is buy the best you can afford.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Rose Marie
Just got my weekly Walmart flyer in the mail today.
It says fabrics are back, we now have fabrics in over 2,000 stores. New, expanded assortment.
It shows a picture of row of fabrics and has a couple of sewing machines on sale.
This is the first time Ive seen a flyer with just sewing and crafts.
I saw the same ad. Hope it means that they are getting more craft supplies in also. Also a larger variety of thread and notions.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:12 PM

Our Coos Bay WalMart just got their fabric dept back. The dept. is smaller but the fabric seems like a better quality and of course, more expensive but worth it. Bolts of fabric are all mixed and not separated by cottons, blends, fleece or anything but at least it is back!
Old 09-15-2011, 01:29 PM

Just went to the local WM and bought Stash Packs, two different coodinating colors two yards each for eight dollars.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:52 PM

Got fabric back in the NE TX stores. I tried to thank them on their website, but they wanted my complete life history before letting me comment. Sooo, I had to just shout "Hall-A-Lu-Yah!" in the store!
Old 09-15-2011, 01:58 PM

A couple of months ago I bought some Walmart charm packs. The colors were so bright, perfect I thought for maybe a donation kid quilt, plus 100 squares per pack! Well, I just started using them and I am not pleased. Not one of them is square. Some of the fabrics, the more solid ones, seem okay. Others feel more like window screen! In order to get a square charm I'm having to cut all of them down to 4 1/2 inches. Luckily, I have a ruler that makes it pretty simple. Will see how they work from there, but I think I've learned my lesson!
Old 09-15-2011, 03:53 PM

We were in Oh at my sister in laws Wal-mart and they had put in their new fabric. Very nice and highest we saw was $5.47. Bright colors and plenty to help your stash. I think they are addinf at stores but don't know if it will be all stores.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:30 PM

When I contacted their supplier, I was told that they had contracted to provide 2 and 3 yard packages.