Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Walmart fabric >

Walmart fabric

Walmart fabric

Old 09-15-2011, 05:34 PM

I was in our walmart sunday to see if the fabric came back lik ethey said it would. Well if you want to say they have a fabric dept now you can. BUT... its so small hardly any fabric to even choose from. what a disappointment
Old 09-15-2011, 06:03 PM

Our Walmart has never gotten rid of their fabric department, but the fabrics they are bringing now, I wouldn't make anything out of this stuff. Except you could make a lot of UGLY quilts with most of it. Hope that changes soon.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:33 PM

We do not even have FQ's in our local store.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:08 PM

The pre packaged FQ's at WM i bought I opened one and folded it back up it was not cut straight and you could read through it and it had a lot of sizing in it so back for a refund it went, I will no purchase anymore unless a lot better gray good's it is printed on and not from China
Old 09-15-2011, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by true4uca
I was just at my local Walmart and went to the fabric dept, haven't been in a while. Guess what they have mini bolts of 3 yards 19.97 & lots of fat q's. A few were even nice quality. Wonder if this means we will eventually get real fabric back
IMO, pre-cuts pretty well guarantees no off the bolt sales. Darn!
Old 09-16-2011, 07:52 AM

I have been in a few WM in the central Ar area, some have fabrics. The only one I would purchase fabric from is the Mt View WM and their fabric dept was cut down but not out so they still have some good pieces. Most of what I have seen I would not buy, not good enough quality. Like the lady said earlier she was so disappointed after the washing.
I have a nice stash and while I would enjoy some new pieces if I cannot improve on what I have I will simply use what I have and thank God I can still quilt and have quality items to quilt with. I imagine most everyone on this Forum has more than enough fabrics to quilt a long time. WM is taking advantage of its customers by raising prices and selling inferior quality whether by the bolt or ill cut fat quarters. I am sorry I cannot agree with everyone on how wonderful WM is to reinstall their fabric dept but junk is junk.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:05 AM

I will no purchase anymore unless a lot better gray good's it is printed on and not from China[/quote]

Unfortunately for us and our country....most fabric mfg now print/process in China, Pakistan and anywhere else BUT here.........I wonder which ones actually have working mills here in the states and produce from beginning to end here?? Would be interesting to know......WM like any other large corp sees an opportunity to increase profit margin and goes for it, that's how it is. I remember when WM first came on the scene, they advertised only made in America would be sold at their stores....well prices could not be kept low and product availability was not enough to keep that slogan, so here we are world......
Old 09-17-2011, 06:05 AM

I also went to a Walmart last week and in a conversation with an employee of Walmart was told that they are putting fabrics back into the stores. She also said that 20,000 stores are on the list for now. I got so excited and needless to say she was excited just giving me the news.
Yeahhhh!!!!
Old 09-17-2011, 06:10 AM

Townslynn located in North Carolina
Old 09-17-2011, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B
I will no purchase anymore unless a lot better gray good's it is printed on and not from China
Unfortunately for us and our country....most fabric mfg now print/process in China, Pakistan and anywhere else BUT here.........I wonder which ones actually have working mills here in the states and produce from beginning to end here?? Would be interesting to know......WM like any other large corp sees an opportunity to increase profit margin and goes for it, that's how it is. I remember when WM first came on the scene, they advertised only made in America would be sold at their stores....well prices could not be kept low and product availability was not enough to keep that slogan, so here we are world......[/quote]

Although I buy American whenever I can, even the best high end fabrics often have at least part of their processing done in foreigh countries. It is just impossible to know with soft goods in particular. I think Walmart as well as other companies must make hard choices today in order just to meet their stockholders expectations and stay in business. This is a tough economy and buying American is not always feasible for those who must make every penny count. Blame it on Washington and the elected representatives who are so out of touch that they loaned billions to overses companies instead of putting our own people to work.