Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
walmart material >

walmart material

walmart material

Old 01-19-2011, 04:43 AM

I buy what I like. Since Walmart is a lot closer to me than any other places to buy fabric. I go there. That way when I run out I can still swing buy and pick some up the other place, I have to really plan on going.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:51 AM

I was out of town last weekend and went into Walmart...found great fabrics bought A LOT. The sales person was so nice she must have cut off of 25 bolts of fabric. really pleasant experience. Then I stopped by a LQS and they were rude..the fabric was easily 3 times the price and they were rude! Well I picked my jaw up off the floor and went back to WALMART! For me it is about customer service!
Old 01-19-2011, 05:05 AM
Power Poster

I LOVE our Walmart fabric ladies. There are 3 that have been at that sore 20 years!!!!!!!!!! I kind of grew up with them there.....they are kind and try to help when they can. All of them are so sad to see our fabric leaving, and I know I will REALLY miss them. Ones retireing, the other two dont know which dept. they are going to.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:17 AM

Some of WW fabric is OK. If in doubt buy a small piece and take it home and launder it. I've found some there that has lots of sizing and when washed it is awful, some that a person thinks would not wash up, is just lovely when washed. If you use panels, most of those are OK. Its buyer beware sometimes you get what you pay for. cheap is cheap.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:24 AM

Like many of you ~ I have seen both good and bad fabric at Walmart.. The two closest to me I know do not carry fabric.. Should check one other that is not all that far away, but truthfully I am not a huge Walmart fan...
Old 01-19-2011, 05:56 AM

I get a lot of my fabric at Walmart, but I certainly pay attention to content, etc. I get a lot of my fleece there--one can tell by feeling if it is "thick" or "Thin"--Obviously I look for the thicker fleece. I got some this week off their $2.99 bolts. I could not tell any difference in it from what was $4.44 and $7.99. Course if I'm looking for special prints, then I have to pay more. I am working on a quilt now that I got the fabric from Walmart--it was in their regular priced aisle (4.95?). Nice feel to fabric, beautiful print. If I am needing a special color for a particular situation, I generally go to our LQS--they are good to help me find exactly the right fabric!
Old 01-19-2011, 06:05 AM

Our Walmart shut down the fabric area about 5 years ago. Just recently they started selling charm packs, fat quarters, jelly rolls, etc with matching flannel fabrics. Currently they have about 10 different designs to choose from.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:44 AM
Banned

DITTO CLEM! Some of their fabric is identical to LQS stuff,,,cheaper cause they buy in quantity.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:04 AM

I called our near by Walmart store yesterday, and told the manager about this quilting board. I asked if his store would think about bringing back material, and he said no. But that some walmart stores did, and if you live near them you are in luck. They decided to have quilting suplies in certain areas, about 50 to 100 miles apart. Maybe if more people would call managers, and tell them how often Walmart gets free advertizing of thier quilting suplies here, it would help.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
Originally Posted by KathyAire
I have Walmart fabric in my stash. Some of their fabric is good and some isn't. If I see something I like, I feel it. If I like the way it feels, I buy, doesn't matter much to me where I'm buying it from.
Ditto!!! :thumbup:
Same here!