Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
walmart material >

walmart material

walmart material

Old 01-19-2011, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I buy David's Textile fabric at Walmart. It's very nice and it's under $3. It's better quality then the $5 and $6 fabric. Not all Walmarts sell David's Textiles so check the bolts. You can tell by the feel of it. The Quilter's Collection is a tad thinner then I like but I'll use it for projects like tablerunners. The print fabrics on the cotton wall seem to fade fast when washed and they are the higher priced. I seldom buy any of them. I like the flannel prints. They don't shrink that much either.
David's Textiles are the only fabrics I buy at Walmart. I mostly buy from Joann's (anymore they're not much better than Walmart) and Fabrics.com.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by MaryStoaks
Originally Posted by clem55
Poor Walmart! Do you think they have any idea how their products are looked down on by so many people? I shop there, and shop there often, and I can"t say I'Ve been sorry about anything I bought. I use my own good judgement about the products I buy. If I feel it isn't any good, I don't buy. I buy clothing for myself once in awhile, clothing for my little grandchildren, and shop there for some grocery . I"ve even bought fabric there many times, and I've never felt it was cheap, cheaper . yes, but not every piece is worthless. Trust your own judgement!! I've made quilts from quilt shops that faded out something terrible in a very short time, and it sure wasn't cheap! I don't own stock ( wish I did!), I just think they get bashed a little too much here.Just my opinion.

My thoughts exactly!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
I agree, also. I recently purchased some fabric from Joann's and the price is going up and quality going down. I agree w/Mary: "Trust your own Judgment!"
Old 01-19-2011, 07:42 AM

The new fabric at my local Walmart that they just got in is very nice fabric. I wish I could afford LQS fabric but I am a quilter who lives on a budget and with the rise in cost I can only afford going to the fabric outlets and Walmart. I am glad for those who can afford to buy LQS fabric for all there quilting fabric as I like to see the LQS's thrive.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:51 AM

The Walmat in Clanton, Alabama has been getting in alot of new fabric, by the bolt. Beautiful batiks, colors and patterns, these are priced from $2.47 to $5.00 pr yard. I have emailed this Walmart and have been told that we will be getting a celebration of life section. So according to staff when the fabric is gone its over. So sad.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:58 AM

Feel the fabric. If it feels good (that's the "hand"), buy it if the color, print, etc., are something you think you can use. One of my quilts that won Judge's choice at a quilt show is made entirely of WalMart fabric. Look for Cranston, VIP and AENathan. That is all nice fabric and when you get into a quilt it won't matter what store from whence it came.
froggyintexas
Old 01-19-2011, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by josiegirl
My local walmart still has material. It ranges in price from $1.50 to $6.00. Of course the $1.50 is not the thickest but the $3 - $4 seems to be nice. Am I missing something in looking at this material? They will be closing this section in about a year and I can really stock up on fabrics of all styles or am I wasting my money?
I don't think you are wasting your money. I like some of the walmart fabric, I go by feel. I just bought my first purchase of the year there. Its David Textiles. It's was $2.97.
Like Patrice said.".it's a hoot, really. the David's selling now at WalMart ($2.97 per yard at mine) is also selling at both of the big chain stores ($7.99 per yard). i've also seen it in quilt shops (in person and online) for $8.99 and $9.99 per yard."
Old 01-19-2011, 09:06 AM

I was at Walmart in Newport, AR yesterday and they still have quite a bit of fabric. I bought several 1 yd. ea pieces and the lady who did the cutting was sooooo nice. We had a very nice chat and as I was wondered around while she was cutting - found a set of squares that I couldn't live without. I pray they NEVER get rid of fabric. Come to think of it - I don't think I've ever encountered a rude Walmart associate. Yea Walmart.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by clem55
Poor Walmart! Do you think they have any idea how their products are looked down on by so many people? I shop there, and shop there often, and I can"t say I'Ve been sorry about anything I bought. I use my own good judgement about the products I buy. If I feel it isn't any good, I don't buy. I buy clothing for myself once in awhile, clothing for my little grandchildren, and shop there for some grocery . I"ve even bought fabric there many times, and I've never felt it was cheap, cheaper . yes, but not every piece is worthless. Trust your own judgement!! I've made quilts from quilt shops that faded out something terrible in a very short time, and it sure wasn't cheap! I don't own stock ( wish I did!), I just think they get bashed a little too much here.Just my opinion.
I agree with Carol. I have bought many things including material from there and you have to use your judgemnent there just like anywhere elst. I bought a piece of fabric for almost ten dollars a yard before and been more disappointed in it than the Walmart fabric.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:12 AM

I've seen the same material in Walmart as in Joann's Fabric store. Of course, it's more expensive at Joann's but it's still the same fabric.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:31 AM

I used a lot of walmart fabric for the Christmas tree skirts I made as gifts. I fell in love with a few of those fabrics! the best advice I've ever heard was buy the best that YOU can afford. I follow this advice and don't feel guilty. I would love to only buy at the lqs but not on my budget.