Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
walmart pre cuts >

walmart pre cuts

walmart pre cuts

Old 06-02-2011, 01:29 PM

wm really do have pretty fabric's.....great prices on their batting too!
Old 06-04-2011, 02:55 PM

Walmart is like many other places...you have to watch what you buy. I have gotten TOL fabrics there, and they were mixed in with stuff I wouldn't take if they were giving away. Some of the bolt stuff was thirds or fourths! And some of it is quilt shop quality. Pay attention to what you pick and you should be fine. (as an aside, my hubby told me that he was told Walmart is bringing back both the fabric and the gun depts...apparently they lost a lot of their core customers when those depts were dropped!)
Cindy in DE
Old 06-04-2011, 03:04 PM

I buy off the clearance rack at Walmart whenever I can. I got two pieces last night for $2/yard and they were ok quality. I know they aren't the best, but they work for me. I can't see thru the fabric and doesn't feel flimsy either. But I have seen fabrics there that are not worth buying too. It just depends what you want or need. My quilts are meant to be used, washed and loved. Nothing fancy or quilt show quality.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
quality is a very subjective thing.

the walmart precuts are not - in my purely personal opinion - among the nicest fabs walmart has to offer if they have fab departments.

however, i have seen worse fabs than their precuts available from other sources.

some folks love the wallyworld precuts.
some hate 'em.

they are all correct. ;-)

I couldn't agree more!
Old 06-08-2011, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
For bolt fabrics I have been vary happy with the ones made by David Textiles and often the regular cost is under $3 a yard.
Are you saying WM carries David Textiles for $3 a yard? Hope it's the same mfr. I am thinking of. Gotta go now!
Old 06-08-2011, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
The precut flannel is very thin. The precut fleece is thin and stretchy. Most of the regular weave cotton is decent.
I agree about the stretch of their fleece. It can work with a serger, or if you are making a single layer...but if you are trying to square up 2 layers & cut fringe, this stuff is miserable due to the stretch. Some of it seems more like a stretch terry...but is still labeled as fleece. Same for some of those pre-pkgd. blankets at Joann's this year. Wasn't that way 2 years ago.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by judy_68
I thought the ones I saw at a Walmart were poor quality and Im no real picky. But, maybe they aren't all the same.
True, they aren't all the same. I'm finishing a t-shirt quilt using WM yardage that has a very nice feel to it, and I think it will last awhile. Some of the lower-priced WM fabric is thin and has a flimsy feel and I wouldn't use it to make kitchen curtains. I did a flannel quilt for a nephew using FQs from my LQS and a couple of them were inferior quality - I thought - for LQS fabric.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
don't forget, please ....

fabric is used for other things besides quilting.

therefore, walmarts who carry fabs will include material we won't find useful for our art, but that will be useful to other purposes.

don't bash wallyworld just because not every square inch of fab they sell can go into a quilt. ;-)
How true, Patrice! I've seen some beautiful decorator-weight fabric in our local WalMart...I've never had to use any, but if I did, I'd certainly get it. Our WM is bringing in MORE yardage fabrics, even though the fabric dept. did downsize a bit after their remodel a couple of years ago.