Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Walmart, in works to make changes >

Walmart, in works to make changes

Walmart, in works to make changes

Old 02-05-2011, 06:17 PM

I think WM put a lot of LQSs out of business with their lower prices (and other types of stores too) but my quilting mentor who i've known for 25 years said there are not as many quilters as there used to be--that's why a lot of stores are having trouble now.

The decrease in popularity of quilting as well as rising prices are hurting the LQSs.

I know no one here wants to hear the hobby (lifestyle) is waning, but the heyday was in the 80s and 90s i guess.

If fabric was a profitable line, WM would still carry it.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:23 PM

My local WM still has fabric but it is such poor quality I won't buy it. The only other fabric store nearby is Joann's and their quality also leaves a lot to be desired. I now mainly shop online sales and get much better quality.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by MistyMarie
I was in one a few weeks ago that had a fabric department. I bought a few FQs, but the fabrics on the bolt are the same ol fabrics that they have carried for years (for the most part), yet the prices have gone up to over $6.00 a yard. When they had fabric for less than $4.00 a yard, I would let the kids pick out fabric for pillow cases, or make doll clothes or craft projects with Wal-Mart fabric, but not at what the prices are now.

I would rather go to JoAnns when their fabric is on sale, or order from Connecting Threads or Thousandsofbolts or wait for a sale at my LQS and spend a few more dollars to get quality fabric.
I was thinking that you must have been in my store, then I see you are very close! Our store (in Parker) has gone up to $6 a yard, too. For the same fabrics they had a couple of months ago for $3.XX. I, too, can do better at Joann's, Hobby Lobby, or the online shops. Better quality for the same price or less.

It was fun while it lasted....
Old 02-05-2011, 07:55 PM

Interesting article - thanks for the link. Our local one still has fabric, some nice notions and things like batting and interfacing.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:19 PM

Well...I think Walmart is expensive now. My mom used to call it a discount store, but I don't feel I save anything there.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:02 PM
Jim

Sorry your Walmarts are going down and dont have quality fabrics..ours was salted to close later this year but with a campaign of emails calls and letters ours is staying and has expaned...and lots of nice new fabrics...so hopefully the Walmart execs see the light of day and realize how many quilters there are in this country
Old 02-05-2011, 09:05 PM

Our Walmart still has fabric and even got some really cute Valentine fabric in. The prices haven't changed yet, still $4.44 a yard.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:12 AM

Our local Walmart closed their fabric dept. years ago.I hated that too. I have to drive 15 miles to JoAn's to pick something up I need.I drive a 15 yr. old truck & take off anyway when I really need something.Can't wait till friday when my son is off. I needed a spool of navy thread, had to wait till friday.I try to remember to stock up on stabilzer I need for my emb. machine.I go to JoAn's fabric sale when I need new fabric.I have a large stash now as my quilt teacher went blind.She gave me her fabrics.And the best part, her Singer 401A sewing machine which she bought new in 1954.I LOVE THAT MACHINE!Her daughter doesn't sew.I only shop Wally world when I need a printer cartridge or make prints.I shop @ BiLo's for my grociers & get the gas points.Blessings to all!
Old 02-06-2011, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by EagarBeez
I am sending this link, I found on FOX this am... they seem to be suffering a little and planning to bring some things back. Should we contact them and ask about fabric... ??? Worth a try you think???

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/02/06...bound/#content
Our Walmarts is remodeling this month and the clerk told me they are keeping the fabric.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:42 AM

I emailed Wal Mart several months ago and received a reply, a generic one, but a reply. Perhaps if we all sent emails reminding them that when we BOUGHT their fabric we also shopped for other items and now that our store does not have fabric, we shop elsewhere, they might begin to see the light. I will do to Wal Mar.com and go to the contact us site and send an email today. How about you. If we all do that, they might open their eyes. They said it themselves, when people go in for one thing they usually end up buying other items as well. They cannot sell you anything if you don't go into the store.