Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Walmart, in works to make changes >

Walmart, in works to make changes

Walmart, in works to make changes

Old 02-07-2011, 07:41 AM
Power Poster

In defense of WalMart and their pricing, my local fabric store has raised prices at least $2.00 per yard. Their store is about 15 times as large as any WalMart fabric department I have been in. I just purchased some coordinating fabric for Auburn and Alabama. It was 58" wide but had a whopping price of $13.99 a yard. I could only get 1/2 yard of two different fabrics. Everyone is marking everything up. The cost of lumber has more than doubled in the past few years. Also, I worked in WalMart fabrics for 3 years before they took our fabric out. I just went into another WalMart fabric department and they had many new fabrics that we didn't have in the past. I don't agree with many of the WalMart corporate decisions either. You want to talk about the cost of fabric? I just found this on E-Bay. This is a vintage piece of fabric, 2 yards x 44". It sold for $108.05. WOW. Wish I owned a bolt of this LOL

Originally Posted by oma66
Speaking of Wal Mart - I was there last week and they were in the process of marking the fabric - up - $1.00 and more a yard. I no longer go to Wal Mart every week. I find better prices at my local market. I did, however, go in at least twice a month to check on the fabrics, but I will no longer do that. I can use my coupons to local fabric shops and get better prices. So long, Wal Mart - it was a nice run while it lasted!
Vintage fabric with price of $108.05 for 2 yards
[ATTACH=CONFIG]149134[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-149129.jpe  
Old 02-07-2011, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Barbshobbies
I talked to a WM manager about a month ago and he said, They were making good money on the new dept. they put in.
It`s setting up a persons party,like wedding,showers etc.
I can`t visulize that in our area because we have more quilters than rich people. He also said they are putting material in some WM`s but only one in each district, I haven`t been back since, no reason to. I some how can`t hear any one say "Guess who did our wedding plans, WM"
I don't understand this either they said a card and section such as you were saying.Well we have Dollar Tree and you can get nice cards there 2 for 1.00 so why would you buy at WM? I don't get it either but I am not a business person I'm a quilter LOL :thumbup:
Old 02-07-2011, 10:33 AM

Even at WM going up on prices the LQS are too so it evens out in MHO.But I will shop wherever I can get the best deal.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:07 AM

We have lost a number of different types of stores since (i.e. hardware, small grocery) Walmart came to our town and later changing to a "super" store. I don't want JoAnn Fabrics or Fabric Warehouse driven out of business so I'm not anxious to have Walmart return to the fabric business. In addition when our Walmart did sell fabric some of the quality was questionable.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:17 AM

Here's the response I received from WalMart when I sent them an e-mail the other day:

Thank you for your recent inquiry regarding the fabric department in your local store. As with any merchandise decision that we make, we have based our decision to reduce the stitching and fabric departments on customer demand, which does not appear to be as high today for a full stitching and fabric offering in some markets as it may have been at Walmart in the past.

In keeping with our emphasis on being a store of the community, Walmart is converting the fabrics and crafts department in some stores to a newly expanded assortment of merchandise that focuses on life's celebrations. We are thrilled to offer our customers this exciting new crafts and celebrations center that makes available craft and party planning needs along with information on current trends and new ideas in the area of life's celebrations, such as holidays, weddings and birthdays.

In those stores where the new crafts and celebrations center is placed, merchandise commonly referred to as 'notions' will be included in the product offerings - such as sewing machines, yarn, needles, thread, etc. As a part of this conversion, most of our new and remodeled stores that opened earlier this year, as well as a small number of existing stores, will feature the new crafts and celebrations center in place of bolt fabrics. Walmart will continue to carry cut fabric in most of our stores. Due to the continued evaluation of our stores, we are unable to share a list of existing stores scheduled to receive the new crafts and celebrations center at this time.

Sincerely,
Walmart Customer Care

Doesn't look to me like we will be getting a fabric/sewing department any time soon. However I was able to get the June Tailor Shape Cut Plus ruler from Wal-Mart's online store for $25.00 with free shipping to my local store, so I saved about 18.00 on that.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:21 AM

If they do start carrying fabric again I hope it's better quality than they used to have. I won't mind even paying a little more.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:31 AM

I have heard that the reason for eliminating fabric is to avoid having to have a PERSON employed to cut it - that's why they sell the precuts in some stores. I also heard they are eliminating custom mixed paints for the same reason. "A penny saved is a penny earned" seems to be their philosophy. Even when that penny saved loses sales to creative people. They sell mostly the cheapest, most cheaply made, and most mundane products. it's asll about the $, whereas your LQS owner is usually a real, helpful human being with a heart. AND better fabric.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:33 PM

Interesting - when I signed the "petition", I immediately received an email asking for donation of $1.00. My signature was number 50,094 - at $1.00 each, that is a lot of "bucks." I deleted the email but it was listed as "[email protected]"
Marysewfun
Old 02-13-2011, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by oma66
Speaking of Wal Mart - I was there last week and they were in the process of marking the fabric - up - $1.00 and more a yard. I no longer go to Wal Mart every week. I find better prices at my local market. I did, however, go in at least twice a month to check on the fabrics, but I will no longer do that. I can use my coupons to local fabric shops and get better prices. So long, Wal Mart - it was a nice run while it lasted!
I am sorry to hear this. At my WalMart last week they were marking a lot of fabric down to $1.00 a yard. Some of it was David Textiles which seemed to be of good quality. I got a few pieces stamped with COPYRIGHT PROTECTED FOR $2.50 a yard. They told me they were not closing the fabric dept.