Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Walmart, in works to make changes >

Walmart, in works to make changes

Walmart, in works to make changes

Old 02-06-2011, 07:17 PM

Our local WM has been remodeled twice in the last 2 years. It is a Super Walmart and really didn't need any remodeling. I just spent hours last week in there trying to lcoate things that I normally can run in and get. I HATE it. They did add an aisle of precuts and I purchased 1 Fat Quarter to test. The precuts looked up to date in design and colors but I wanted to test drive before I bought. But I won't go there much for fabric. This"one" aisle is located in the very back of the store next to automotive so it's a hassle to run in for a couple of things.

I hate grocery shopping there and won't go unless the pantry has gotten so low I have to buy a lot of stock items. Even then, I left the store last week without 3 things I had on my list because I couldn't find them. Their stocking makes no sense at times.

If someone would open a LQS here with great customer service, they would do well. Even the ladies at Hancock's have gotten an "I don't care' attitude and most of them have been there for years.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:18 PM

I live in med. rural area where you have to go 30 miles if you want something WM doesnt have. We are surrounded with small towns that have large number of Mennonite. It would be a dumb move for them to take ours out.I also dont shop there unless I just have to. But I did like to go look at fabric once in a while but they have raised prices.So I go 30 miles to JoAnn.Maybe they need to read this message board!!! No fabric to buy ---- no other spending!!!
Old 02-06-2011, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by EagarBeez
I am sending this link, I found on FOX this am... they seem to be suffering a little and planning to bring some things back. Should we contact them and ask about fabric... ??? Worth a try you think???

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/02/06...bound/#content
Thanks for the info. I like your idea. Here is the link to let yourself be heard.
http://walmartstores.com/contactus/feedback.aspx#2
Thanks for the info
Old 02-06-2011, 08:19 PM

Our WalMart doesn't have fabric. Two stores in my section of AZ do - they're both about 50 miles from where I live. I emailed WM Management thanking them for removing the fabric department. My reasoning was that I had been going to WM a couple of times a week to buy a little fabric and always ended up spending $50 to $75 on other things. I told them since they took out the fabric department I had only been in once in about six weeks.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:30 PM

Bet that got there goat!!
Old 02-06-2011, 08:31 PM

soory it should be "their"
Old 02-06-2011, 08:43 PM

The other evening I was in our WM and we had just gotten all the snow. I needed some fabric to go with my project so DH drove me. I dont like driving when it is slick.Anyway they were down on help because of the weather and the Store Manager came back to cut my fabric.LOL SOOO I ask him if they were going to loose the fabric dept.He said he had just recieved a letter that day saying they were NOT getting rid of the fabric!!!!
So I am happy!!
Old 02-06-2011, 09:08 PM

I have to go 80 miles one way to the big W store. I have been going to Target more because I get so mad trying to check out at Walmart. All those checkout stands and half aren't even open. When they did the remodel they even took out the self check stands. They did leave some fabric but have very little quilting supplys. It isn't like it was when Sam W. was alive. Seems he cared more but his kids sure don't.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:18 PM

I'm new here. There is a Walmart about 10 miles from my home. They have fabric and crafts but last time I shopped for fabric there, we couldn't get anyone to wait on us. We waited and waited, rang the bell and asked the sporting goods person to help us. He called someone that never showed up. On the way out, I told a friend of mine that has worked there for many years. She told me that the employee from fabrics had to take care of lawn and garden too and it was busy there. Some of the fabrics are good but their thread is very fuzzy. I won't buy thread there anymore. It doesn't seem any cheaper but the next nearest place I can buy fabric is 40 miles away. I'm doing some on line fabric shopping now.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:31 PM

I talked to a WM manager about a month ago and he said, They were making good money on the new dept. they put in.
It`s setting up a persons party,like wedding,showers etc.
I can`t visulize that in our area because we have more quilters than rich people. He also said they are putting material in some WM`s but only one in each district, I haven`t been back since, no reason to. I some how can`t hear any one say "Guess who did our wedding plans, WM"