Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Walmart, in works to make changes >

Walmart, in works to make changes

Walmart, in works to make changes

Old 02-06-2011, 10:00 PM

So their bright idea is to only have one in a certain area? Do they really think that someone would drive to another WM just for fabric!!???? Sometimes I wonder what goes through top dogs minds????
Old 02-06-2011, 10:26 PM

Good idea a petition would probably help but how to go about it :?: I've heard that some hav put thier petitions on the internet but I wouldn't know how to set it up.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:31 PM

They cut their food items also. If you find something you like, they will stop carrying it. Some young gentlemen must be making the decisions and they certainly don't understand middle aged and older women. I have gone back to buying groceries at the grocery store and fabric at the quilt shop. Makes sense to me. Then I don't do impulse buying.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:58 AM

When they built a new Walmart here, they discontinued the fabric, etc. I miss the fabric, but I really did not buy alot of their fabric as it had gone down in quality. So, I go to our LQS' and due to that I never go to Walmart at all anymore. What I miss horribly are the notions. Like... elastic, etc. I have needed elastic for 2 weeks and have not had time to go to JoAnn's to get it and the LQS does not carry it. Thats the kind of things I miss most. But, Walmart has lost all my business. I am angry with them and hate the new store.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:59 AM

I know it, I hate shopping at a store after they remodel. We have a Walmart but we also have another grocery store that I like going in until they remodeled. I still have such a hard time finding things. Another store here changed hands and all the "big wigs" were there one day and every one (customers) begged them to not change the store. Did they listen? NO. It isn't as nice as it once was. I don't know why they do that.

Originally Posted by Nanamoms
Our local WM has been remodeled twice in the last 2 years. It is a Super Walmart and really didn't need any remodeling. I just spent hours last week in there trying to lcoate things that I normally can run in and get. I HATE it. They did add an aisle of precuts and I purchased 1 Fat Quarter to test. The precuts looked up to date in design and colors but I wanted to test drive before I bought. But I won't go there much for fabric. This"one" aisle is located in the very back of the store next to automotive so it's a hassle to run in for a couple of things.

I hate grocery shopping there and won't go unless the pantry has gotten so low I have to buy a lot of stock items. Even then, I left the store last week without 3 things I had on my list because I couldn't find them. Their stocking makes no sense at times.

If someone would open a LQS here with great customer service, they would do well. Even the ladies at Hancock's have gotten an "I don't care' attitude and most of them have been there for years.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Aunt Patti
Good idea a petition would probably help but how to go about it :?: I've heard that some hav put thier petitions on the internet but I wouldn't know how to set it up.
I just sent them an email...come on...everybody send one....get your friends to send one. Let's start something!!!!
Old 02-07-2011, 06:17 AM

And how many American businesss have WalMart put out of business by their pricing policies and "buy Asia" policies? Everything I have read says what a horrible "woman unfriendly" employer WM is. The last I heard, WM is still privately owned by the Walton family, who are so rich they won't even talk about it. Is all this just rumor? On principle, I rarely go into a WM store.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:03 AM

the last time this subject came up on this board I called Bentonville and was told that there were NO plans to bring back fabric in any of their stores, needless to say I told her how dumb this idea is. Our big Walmart has fat quarters and precut fabric for aprons. They still sell notions.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by lonestardreams
I'm new here. There is a Walmart about 10 miles from my home. They have fabric and crafts but last time I shopped for fabric there, we couldn't get anyone to wait on us. We waited and waited, rang the bell and asked the sporting goods person to help us.
I love cellphones. I was in a WM in Texas and there was absolutely nobody in the fabric section. I rang the little bell several times and nobody came. I used my cellphone and called the store's general number, asking to speak to the manager. When I got the manager on the line I explained that I was in fabrics, wanted to buy and there was nobody working the department. She sent someone immediately.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by GrandmaAva
And how many American businesss have WalMart put out of business by their pricing policies and "buy Asia" policies? Everything I have read says what a horrible "woman unfriendly" employer WM is. The last I heard, WM is still privately owned by the Walton family, who are so rich they won't even talk about it. Is all this just rumor? On principle, I rarely go into a WM store.
It's my understanding that the Waltons are large (extremely) stockholders. However, the corporation itself is being run by MBAs. My husband detests MBAs because they think they can run any company, no matter the product, simply by running the numbers. CompUSA got an MBA CEO and he decided to get rid of the older, more knowledgeable, sales people and keep the young ones who didn't know the product but worked cheaply. Last I heard they were bankrupt. Fabric, as Sam Walton and his wife knew, is probably a loss leader for Walmart. However, it is a way to get lots of women to come to the store frequently. I can find groceries, car parts, books, etc., other places closer to my home, I didn't have anyplace close to buy fabric. Joanns just opened here and it was a madhouse on opening day. Looked like a combination Black Friday/Superbowl party.