Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Walmarts that still have fabric???? >

Walmarts that still have fabric????

Walmarts that still have fabric????

Old 07-20-2009, 11:48 AM

There's a Walmart in Durham, NC that still has fabric. Was there today and the clerk said he heard Feb. is when it's closing the fabric dept. No more special orders. Also, I believe the prices have gone up on the $2.44/yard items or there aren't any more. There's a lot of $3.44, $4.44 and now $5.44. Has anyone seen this anywhere else?
Old 07-20-2009, 01:56 PM

Boardman, Ohio = yes
Austintown, Ohio = no
Cranberry Twp, PA = no
I found fabric at one Walmart in Toledo.

Jo
Old 07-20-2009, 02:14 PM

I just posted a topic in general chit-chat about Wal-Mart fabric (I guess it should have been here)

I needed to make a baby quilt in a hurry this weekend and the only place open that had fabric was Wal-Mart. (I am not a Wal-Mart shopper for anything - I hate Wal-Mart! - Sorry if I offend anyone, it's just a personal thing) Well, the fabric was such garbage. The 100% cotton was thin and the color was uneven. The flannel was very thin, see-through and the fibers shredded. It was horrible to use. I couldn't even give the quilt to the person I was making it for because it looked so bad. I ended up donating it to the local women's shelter. I couldn't get good help either. Which didn't really surprise me.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:16 PM

I meant to say that I guess that is what I get for paying $2.97/yard

Do you find that the fabric is not very good quality at your Wal-Mart stores?
Old 07-20-2009, 02:18 PM

Most of the Walmart stores in the northern Virginia area seem to have fabric in stock and none appear to be closing. We also have fabric at
Ben Franklin, Joann's, Hancocks, and about 15-20 LQSs. Fabric is all over NOVA. :thumbup:
Old 07-20-2009, 02:46 PM

I know you guys are all back east mostly but i'm in Central Oregon, Sisters actually. We don't even have a chain grocery store here but 22 miles away in Redmond is a super WalMart w/a huge fabric dept. They still have $2.44 fab. and you do have to be careful about how it was dyed but i've gotten some great backing for my quilts there. They have a huge notions dept. but only two brands of thread? :? Great ladies working the dept. too, just requires patience since they have other responsiblities as well.

This is one of our Coffee Break Kits. It's made w/mostly WM fabric except the pink/white that i embroidered on.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]37003[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-37003.jpe  
Old 07-23-2009, 06:25 AM

Wal-mart in Owensboro, KY is closing fabric dept 1st of August, Central City, KY Wal-mart expects fabric dept to be gone by January 2010, Madison, IN Wal-mart said she had not heard anything about their Wal-mart closing fabric dept. I was told one of the Bowling Green, KY stores still has fabric but I haven't been there to check it out in a few months. Maybe I need to take a little drive. :lol: :lol: :lol:

For the most part, all the fabric I have purchased from Wal-mart has been good quality. I don't buy the $1 a yard, but I have purchased the $2 a yard fabric and most of it was good quality. You just have to feel it and rub it a little to see what it is like. ISN'T THAT THE BEST PART OF QUILTING FEELING THE FABRIIC? LOL!

Angie
Old 07-23-2009, 06:50 AM
BP

I am in Crescent City, Ca. we have one walmart, it has fabric left, they say they will keep it but you never know, souposed to become a super store soon & they have made a lot of changes so we will see. :roll:
Old 07-23-2009, 06:50 AM

I made another post on this subject. There is fabric in our one and only Walmart within a 100 mile range and they have fabric and keep getting in new fabric on a daily basis. I was told that when they attempted to close the fabric portion, that they as well as the main office were bombarded with calls, they had protestors out, and the schools begged to keep the fabric dept, in order that they could continue their home economics classes. Seems they got all their products and students their fabrics there. There is also no fabric and only 1 quilting store nearby to compete.
The Walmart is in Show Low, AZ
Old 07-23-2009, 07:12 AM

I agree. We need the WalMarts to carry a bigger selection of materials and notions.