Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Want to use two tops to make a quilt. How do you do this? >

Want to use two tops to make a quilt. How do you do this?

Want to use two tops to make a quilt. How do you do this?

Old 03-09-2018, 10:42 AM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

From my limited experience in doing this, I think the board method would work well. You really don’t want the blocks to line up exactly on the front and back, unless you do QAYG. The bulk from the seams can become an issue. If you pick which quilt will be sandwiched as the backing ahead of time, you can add an extra wide border to give you a little fudge room, just in case one or the other quilt isn’t perfectly square. An all over quilting pattern works well. I learned a lot in this process, and the next time I will plan ahead.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:34 AM

The last few quilts I have been reversible, and I love them so much, the next few will be too!

The way I do it is that I first lay out the batting with just one of the floppies on top. I usually use spray glue to baste it down. Then, I use a long doll needle and dark thread and do a really long running stitch about every 12" or so, horizontally and vertically, and around the edge to create a grid to use as a guide on the reverse side.

Once I have the grid stitched down, I flip it over and use the stitches as a guide to lay out the reverse quilt top. I'm able to line everything up all the way around pretty accurately.

As for the actual quilting, I am barely learning to FMQ, and the only stitch I can do somewhat adequately is all all-over loopy meander. So far, I haven't had any trouble with bulky seams, although I have to admit I skirt around the intersections of blocks where that might be a problem.

I hope that made sense, lol. Good luck with your reversible quilt!
Old 03-10-2018, 02:26 AM

JJBlaine - This is a wonderful suggestion! Thanks.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:18 AM

I agree with Tartan; forget about lining them up on both sides. Just line them up and start quilting.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by JJBlaine View Post
The last few quilts I have been reversible, and I love them so much, the next few will be too!

The way I do it is that I first lay out the batting with just one of the floppies on top. I usually use spray glue to baste it down. Then, I use a long doll needle and dark thread and do a really long running stitch about every 12" or so, horizontally and vertically, and around the edge to create a grid to use as a guide on the reverse side.

Once I have the grid stitched down, I flip it over and use the stitches as a guide to lay out the reverse quilt top. I'm able to line everything up all the way around pretty accurately.

As for the actual quilting, I am barely learning to FMQ, and the only stitch I can do somewhat adequately is all all-over loopy meander. So far, I haven't had any trouble with bulky seams, although I have to admit I skirt around the intersections of blocks where that might be a problem.

I hope that made sense, lol. Good luck with your reversible quilt!
Excellent!!!!
Old 03-10-2018, 09:38 AM

I tried doing this and my mistake, I realized was not really thinking it through (isn't that always the problem?) you have to be sure that the quilting will work for both sides and since I was using 2 panels, one per side, I got myself into a no win situation...I finally decided to take it apart and make two quilts...good decision...
Now, for ideas here I love the one from JJ Blaine and will follow that method going forward.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:08 AM

I am making a double sided t shirt quilt for someone and my plan is to sew one top to the batiste which is the batting as it's a summer quilt using the stitch in the ditch. For the other side I am sewing it with wide straight lines on the diagonal. Hope it works. Yes, I am using 880F interfacing.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:23 AM

If you want different quilting on both the back and the front ... you can put flannel on the back of each and quilt the top and then quilt the back ... then put the two together, and do some "block" quilting to quilt all four together. It would depend on how heavy you want the quilt to be as well. If you want it heavier, you could put batting on the back of one, and flannel on the back of the other.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:06 AM

Another good idea. When i start the quilting process I'll give this some consideration. Thanks Marion!