Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Warm and Natural Cotton Batting Question >

Warm and Natural Cotton Batting Question

Warm and Natural Cotton Batting Question

Old 01-17-2011, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by tjradj
I love working with Warm and Natural. I prefer the flatter quilting over the puffy look anyway. And yes, they are warm. The one on my bed is a W&N quilt!
I did succumb to frugality once and bought a different brand, and will never touch it again! Every time I touched that batting it left finger marks in it, it was so thin and loosely put together.
Me too!!! I have warm and natural in almost all my quilts at home and it is nice and warm. I have some that are backed with flannel and they are so warm and cozy. :)
Old 01-17-2011, 05:12 PM

i have always used poly batting, but i was thinking of trying the cotton, so i am also curious as to the replies you will get. As far as the poly goes, i have handquilted and machine quilted quite a few without problems and they are warm and wash beautifully. I think the reason i shyed away from cotton was because i was told you have to quilt 1"apart. That's a lot of quilting! Dont know if this is true, but it scared me off :(
Old 01-17-2011, 05:27 PM

It is very warm. It does shrink when washed but nothing outrageous that would distort the design of the quilt. It gives that antique look to the quilt.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:56 PM
Power Poster

I have made quilts with Warm and Natural and some with Poly. Everyone in my house prefers the Warm and Natural for warmth and the feel of the quilt.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:39 PM

If you want a batting that is slightly puffier than W&N, you might try Hobbs 80/20. It has the best of both cotton and poly. Also wool is more puffy but still light and very warm.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:07 AM
Power Poster

i have bought warm and natural from the warm company, from local quiltshops, from on line shops and yes recently from Joannes...i have to say...the (stuff) i got from Joannes is NOTHING like what i get from the quiltshops or the company. it is 1/2 the thickness of what i usually get...and it has some weird smell to it...i hated working with it. so, although i will continue to purchase warm and natural i will not buy what joannes offers ... it seems horribly sub-standard to me.
start with a small quilt (a baby quilt) make it, sandwich it, quilt it and bind it...throw it into the washer, -warm, normal cycle; toss it into the dryer...normal setting, take it out, hug it and see what you think...if you dont' like the soft-fluffiness of it and would prefer a -flatter' look you can pre-wash in the future or buy a batting with less shrinkage. the shrinkage is not actually (set in stone either) it depends on the amount of quilting how much shrinkage you will actually have
Old 01-18-2011, 05:32 AM

I PRESOAK my batting in the washer. No aggitation but spin dry and then toss into the drier.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:03 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ckcowl
i have bought warm and natural from the warm company, from local quiltshops, from on line shops and yes recently from Joannes...i have to say...the (stuff) i got from Joannes is NOTHING like what i get from the quiltshops or the company. it is 1/2 the thickness of what i usually get...and it has some weird smell to it...i hated working with it. so, although i will continue to purchase warm and natural i will not buy what joannes offers ... it seems horribly sub-standard to me.
Was it in the Warm and Natural brand box, just different? I wonder if that's what Hancock's sells. It's regularly $11.99 a yard and they had it on sale for $5.99. I bought about 6 yards. I hope they don't make a cheaper version for the big box stores... No weird smell, tho.
Can't wait to try it out. I'm nearly done with a baby quilt and will use it for that.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:16 AM

I bought 10 yards of it and so did my friend. I use it also for hot pads.

My local Hancock's ran out, in fact. my friend and I took the last roll of what they had. We split it between the two of us, and last night I went back and got a raincheck for more. I figured I need pretty close to 16 yards for projects I am working on. Each of my kids and my son-in-law and granddaughter are getting quilts for birthdays this year.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Julie in NM
I PRESOAK my batting in the washer. No aggitation but spin dry and then toss into the drier.
Julie,

do you have a frontload or a top load washer. I have a front load washer and I wondered how to presoak it with that. Also, what part of New Mexico are you in? My friend lives in Luna.