Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Warning about Stack and Whack and other similar designs

LOL I totally agree! Sounds like my sewing room. And I also have several embroidery projects going at the same time!

I agree with you about adding the "addictive" notice. I really got hooked on stack 'n whack quilts for a while. Even my husband was watching for good fabrics for them. He would even point out fabric in clothes and say that it is s & w fabric!
    I haven't made one for a while now but I am seeing some beautiful sunflower fabrics right now that I would sure love to turn into a stack ' whack! So I think I may be doing another one soon.

Hah!, once you've made a OBW, you'll never look at printed fabric the same again! For a period of time, that's the only kind of fabric I'd buy. I think I have at least 12 different prints, patiently waiting for me to cut them up and sew them back together for a totally new look.

OBW stands for One Block Wonder. My avatar is a OBW. Made from a parrot, macaw and other tropical birds fabric.

MNM

Quote Originally Posted by mom-6
    So should several others...bow tucks, etc....
    3 D Pinwheel, every one I have shown it to have become addicted. MNM

Quote Originally Posted by dforesee
    LOL ... nobody warned me and I am sinking in a sea of UFO's! There are so many great patterns and tutorials that are addicting; I haven't tried the bow tuck yet, but I do have the pattern.
    me too

For a long time my obsession was the disappearing 9 patch. I must have made 10 or 12 of them. Recently I went to a OBW class, and I have 3 of them started!! I did a couple of SNW quilts years ago and loved it! But never thought of putting it together the way the OBW is arranged!

Quote Originally Posted by fireworkslover
    OBW stands for One Block Wonder. My avatar is a OBW. Made from a parrot, macaw and other tropical birds fabric.
    Fireworkslover - your OBW avatar is gorgeous! Amazing what you can do with parrots, macaws and other tropical birds! :lol:

Super Member Sheree from Chicago's Avatar
    LOL - I haven't tried these yet but on my to-do list!

Quote Originally Posted by scowlkat
    Stack N Whacks are certainly addicting! Beware that One Block Wonders are actually a form of SNW! Took a class in OBW a couple of weeks ago and now am working on it while two SNWs are sitting there waiting to be completed! Why is it so easy to get distracted?
    I took a OBW class at lqs & before I left the shop that day, I had purchased fabric for 3 more OBW's. I was very interested in the "blended" quilts & OBW is an extension of that for me. I love them. They look so complicated, but are really SO easy!

Quote Originally Posted by Matilda
    What is OBW? I have seen this before. Thanks
    Here is a gorgeous OBW a customer brought me today to be quilted.

MaryAnn's OBW
    Name:  Attachment-94456.jpe
Views: 58
Size:  157.0 KB

CircleSquare,
    Ooh that's truly gorgeous! Do you know what the original fabric looked like? Flowers, roses perhaps?

I have never made one yet, and as of right now, don't want to, have plenty of other irons in the fire!

Quote Originally Posted by np3
    I'm still looking for the fabric for my first one. Soooo afraid to take the plunge.
    A great place to find it is to check out bed ruffles at the thrift stores. They have very long continuous lengths of fabric in many kinds of patterns, with many, many repeats. Usually you can buy them for $2-$5 depending on size. Often the bed ruffles are like new when you find them. This becomes very inexpensive fabric when you dismantle it and is perfect for making OBWs and SAWs. If you mess it up somehow, you usually still have plenty of fabric to cut more, AND you don't have a huge investment even if you screw it up completely!! ;)
    This should take the fear out of trying it, as you won't have a large investment in the fabric you are using. I have the fabric from 4 bedskirts waiting to become OBW's and I just bought another one today to dismantle. It's such a beautiful large floral print I couldn't resist it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mailmanldy
    OBW is One Block Wonder... you take 6 repeats of your fabric, layer them so they are all lined up, cut into strips, then cut into triangles. Sew each set into a hexagon (really a half hexagon, as that is eaiser to sew together into rows) and then lay them out on your design wall in a pleasing way. Sew the rows together to form your quilt. I have made many of these, and they are very addicting... I love looking for new fabric for them.

SNW is basically the same, only you don't necessiarly use hexagons. Do a google search on Stack N Whack and you will find some photos of them.

Bow Tuck is a purse/tote pattern by QuiltIllustrated. (Again do a google search and you will find the pattern to see what it looks like).
    You can also click search here at the top of the page and find many photos, tutorials, and topic threads discussing all 3 of these quilting projects.

Quote Originally Posted by fireworkslover
    CircleSquare,
    Ooh that's truly gorgeous! Do you know what the original fabric looked like? Flowers, roses perhaps?
    Pink and white roses about 3 1/2" across, with small purple violets and green leaves with some pink tips. Black background.

Senior Member Cheshirecatquilter's Avatar
    A OBW question: What size triangles (in inches per side) did you end up using for your OBW quilt? I suppose it would depend somewhat on the size of your print repeat what size you choose.

When I made my OBWs I cut my strips 3.75 inches wide, then cut the triangles out of that. The size of the strips doesn't really depend on the size of the print or repeat. There are some things you can do to get your triangles to look different if you picked a fabric that didn't have a very large repeat. Such as trimming about a quarter inch off your strip if you notice that your triangles are looking similar, or start cutting a strip from the opposite end. Moving your ruler even just a fraction of an inch produces a different look in your hexagons.

I will look for some pictures of some of my OBWs and post them if I can find them. Haven't gotten any of them quilted yet, but I do have 3 or 4 tops completed.

Diane
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Check out the Virtual Section for lots of info on the OBW / Stack n Whack etc

One Block Wonders, Kaleidoscope Quilts and Stack and Whack
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/virtual...jsp?vsnum=1006

Here is another OBW I made.
    Attached Images Attached Images

OMG .... totally a OBW addict! that's what got me quilting a couple years ago and I love them ... am branching out a little, but have so many pieces of fun fabrics to do other OBW and some already to go for my next one ... I could go on ... not for everyone ... but I'm really not interested in very many other types because I love them so much

My firsts quilt ... OBW!
    Name:  Attachment-95842.jpe
Views: 561
Size:  81.2 KB

ooooohhhh.. You did the octagon instead of the hexagon. I keep wanting to try that one, but I don't have enough fabric for 8 repeats.. so need to go buy more... LOL

I've done one hexagon and 10 octagons .... Love the artsyness (is that a word) with the smaller triangles ... but the hexagons are easier in the long run! I sometimes get really caught up in making sure everything is perfect, which we all know is just not possible!!!

Quote Originally Posted by susiequilt
    I think I'm the only one on the board that has no interest in them!
    I don't know why they don't appeal to me.
    I'm another one that doesn't have a lot of interest in them, altho I do like some that others have made.
    I believe that the warning applies to all quilting tho!!

Quote Originally Posted by Holice
    I firmly believe every book/pattern/tutorial/instruction should have the following warning.

Be aware that this technique is addictive and may cause undue stress on your quiltmaking. You will discover that before you have the first top finished you will have another cut, another on the cutting table to be cut and about three more still in the original store bags waiting in line to start the process.

:thumbup: That's me with the OBW quilts and don't get me going on flying geese!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast