Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Warning about Stack and Whack and other similar designs

funny, haven't tried one, but thanks for the warning.

I have not started on flying geese yet .... apparently I should not start, eh?! :lol:

My Hexagon OBW ... really better in person!
    Name:  Attachment-95845.jpe
Views: 271
Size:  87.0 KB

Karen - I just love yours! The greater variation in color makes it more apealing to me.
    I am also working on a very small OBW, from a print with a 6" repeat. I guess you could almost call it a miniature.

Small repeat fabric
    Name:  Attachment-96386.jpe
Views: 295
Size:  146.1 KB

OBW hexagons
    Name:  Attachment-96387.jpe
Views: 312
Size:  77.3 KB

Stack and Whack is a quilt design that looks like a keleidoscope when the blocks are sewn together.
    It really is easier to have someone show you or take a class. It is real important for the effect that you line up repeats in the fabric so that it looks like there are several of the same image in each block.. hope that makes sense. There are specific ways to cut the repeats, line them up and sew them together. It's not really hard when you understand what they are trying to show you.
    I have done several, but if I haven't done one for a while, then I do have to go back and refresh my memory...maybe it's my old age..but it is so much fun seeing how they will look.

I have a mirror that has a fold to it so I can preview fabric to see if I like how it would look...

Blog Entries
    What's a bow tuck?

Karen your quilts are absolutely beautiful!! and circlesquare I love your fabric and the squares you have so far, I hope you will continue to show us as you progress!

Ann: Love those! I've used a much smaller print also and I taught my neighbor the OBW and he used a smaller print (I just had him get double the fabric ... twice the repeats so he'd have enough to make a KING size quilt!). I usually buy something with a very large print and only a few colors ... but I also don't like to stay within the box. I'll try to find my crazy hot pink one and put a pic up for you to view! My favorite one so far... I actually used two fabrics instead of one. It is awesome (if I do say so myself!)

Thank you. I love these quilts ... they make me look so good when it is the fabric doing most of the work! I really love that about these quilts. I have a hard time picking colors to go together and when you only have to pick one, I can totally do that!!

I agree! I loved the book (OBW) and thought I could never do that and then I took a class (kind of accidentally) and was in love.

Here's when I was making my "Pink" quilt (which is what everyone calls it!) I love this one ... really my fav ... I'll post a finished version when I get a chance as I apparently don't have one.

My "PINK" OBW (Yes, it really is)
    Name:  Attachment-97528.jpe
Views: 81
Size:  108.5 KB

OH MY GOSH, should we contact the Surgeon General so that the warning can be added, like the one that is on cigarette packs?

you gals are something else! i've never tried obw or snw, but your results are AMAZING!

Quote Originally Posted by susiequilt
    I think I'm the only one on the board that has no interest in them!
    I don't know why they don't appeal to me.
    I don't even know what they are

Haven't done stack and whack for a long time.
    Got lots of pillow panels at a yard sale recently and wondered what to do with them as they are all the same.
    Now I know I will use them for stack and whack .
    Been busy making purses and ready to get back into some quilting. Panels should work out good with the big flowers.
    Will look a lot better than just using the panels.Just couldn't pass up a bargain of all them for fifty cents.

Quote Originally Posted by oops
    Got lots of pillow panels at a yard sale recently and wondered what to do with them as they are all the same.
    Speaking of Pillow Panels, here is another quilt I did a few years ago. Each yard had 2 different rose squares, and then a mirror image of each. I used the Stack N Whack method.

"Fractured Roses" Quilt
    Name:  Attachment-102871.jpe
Views: 113
Size:  126.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by oops
    Been busy making purses and ready to get back into some quilting. Panels should work out good with the big flowers.
    Will look a lot better than just using the panels.Just couldn't pass up a bargain of all them for fifty cents.
    What are "pillow panels"? I have an idea, but tell me please.

What a great idea! Love that!

Quote Originally Posted by susiequilt
    I think I'm the only one on the board that has no interest in them!
    I don't know why they don't appeal to me.
    You are not alone. I don't even know what they are. So I guess that makes 2 of us.

Not everyone loves the same kinds of quilts that is what makes quilting so great ... I certainly do not like a lot of the patterns ... I like them because they are what works for me. Just a short description for those of you who do not know what they are .... you take a large patterned fabric with a repeat of around 24", you need 6 repeats for a hexagon quilt and 8 repeats for an octagon, you cut up the fabric into the 6 or 8 repeats and then cut strips and then triangle and you make hexagons or octagons out of the triangles ... those are your blocks. Hmmm... now that I write this it doesn't sound as easy as it really is. ... the blocks are made to look you are looking at them through a kaleidoscope! (Thus, the name). The pictures here are the original fabric (on the back) and the octagon (Stack and Whack or OBW) on the front, just fyi

original fabric on the back
    Name:  Attachment-106125.jpe
Views: 42
Size:  143.0 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

You do realise by starting this thread even more of us are going to be drawn in to the vast web that is the Stack n Whack/One Block Wonder phenomenon.

I am reorganising my fabrics into a new shelving system and found myself putting "potentials" on a separate shelf...goodness knows what will happen to me once I actually do one!!!!

Lovely examples everyone has posted....Karen K...who could imagine that fabric could be worked into the amazing piece which is the front....Wow!

Oh, after all these replies I get it now, doesn't look that hard.

Earthwalker ... thank you so much for your kind words... but I have found that by choosing something that is odd and fun that it turns into something wonderful and it is my pull to these fun quilts! In our house we like to say "the uglier the better". Not that they are actually "ugly", but not something you can figure out what you would actually do with fabric that you love! My first one posted earlier is actually a bullfighter, flamenco dancer, and bull print that my husband loved, I thought was great but couldn't imagine being a quilt or anything else, but I totally love it!!! The blue quilt was a stack of asian print panels ... I could go on but you get the idea!!! Big is good, colors are most important in choosing!! Go for it. This addiction is not a bad thing!!! It is FABULOUS!

Wow, that is beautiful CircleSquare

Karen, just wondering, how do you make your octagon into a square so that you can then join them all together? I don't see the joining panels on yours that I used on the OBW that I made. Thanks, hugs and smilessssss

Power Poster
    Yea there should be a warning but would we pay attention to it?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast