Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Warning concerning Frixion Pens >

Warning concerning Frixion Pens

Warning concerning Frixion Pens

Old 11-17-2012, 07:00 AM

Does the Miracle Chalk hold up to handquilting - rubbing your hand over the fabric for lots of hours on end without rubbing off?

I am finishing off a dark quilt - will have to remember to take a scrap of the dark fabric - mark w/ frixion to get the "white" line and then throw it in the wash to see if it disappears again. My guess is yes, because I do know that the frixion washes out because I've seen that before.

If washing the quilt returns the color to the quilt, then for me, it is no longer an issue. I do have the Fons & Porter white pencil that I use. It's ok - but still love the ease of the Frixion better.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:41 AM

Good idea...I'll give it a try next time - thanks!! - roberta

Originally Posted by Gings View Post
Would starching before you mark work I wonder, no good in your case but may be of use to others. I use them a lot when peicing but not used them for marking quilting designs.

The reason I say starch before you mark is that this works with normal marking sol pens. The ink sits on top of the starch and doesn't touch the fabric so washes out with a Q-tip dipped in water.
Jenny
Old 11-17-2012, 11:42 AM

I will give these a try as well - thanks! - roberta

Originally Posted by azwendyg View Post
Thanks for posting this. I tried out those pens on some scrap and decided not to take a chance with them... For dark batiks and other medium to dark fabrics I LOVE using these Miracle Markers http://miraclechalk.com/miracle_markers.htm They disappear totally when you hover over them with a steam iron!
Old 11-17-2012, 11:44 AM

Default quilt is in the wash

I'll see what happens - it's washing right now with 5 color catchers (even though I prewashed with 5 color catchers). I'll post what I see when it's dry. Thanks everyone for the feedback!!
--bob1414 - roberta
Old 11-17-2012, 08:03 PM
Power Poster

I had the faint lines on dark fabric when I used the pens too. I washed the quilt and the lines disappeared. I love these pens and will continue to use them. They are non toxic so I would think that would be no harm at all to fabric.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:42 AM

It washes out.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:41 AM

I use frixion pens and have had no trouble but I use them on light fabric that I trace on a light box then I free motion embroidery but thanks for the warning I will be careful on the darker fabric let us know if washing helps
Old 11-18-2012, 05:47 AM

I'll stick with my Sewline mechanical pencils, thank you.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by 117becca View Post
Does the Miracle Chalk hold up to handquilting - rubbing your hand over the fabric for lots of hours on end without rubbing off?
I used the Clover white marking pen to mark a grid on my latest quilt. It disappears with washing or ironing. I'm still quilting, and so far all the marks I put on the quilt are still there. I recommend it for dark fabrics.

It's a little freaky because it takes a few seconds to develop, but once it's there, it lasts until it's quilted. I haven't washed the quilt yet, but I can barely see the lines where I've already quilted.

Janet
Old 11-18-2012, 06:05 AM

When using Frixion pens - be warned. There is NOTHING that will remove the ink. Yes, it becomes transparent when it is ironed but when the marked fabric is exposed to extreme cold, (such as during shipping and being stored in a warehouse) - the marks will reappear. I made a special label with instructions advising the owner of the quilt to use a hot iron to remove any marks that will reappear from exposure to cold.