Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Warning concerning Frixion Pens >

Warning concerning Frixion Pens

Warning concerning Frixion Pens

Old 11-18-2012, 07:21 AM

I used a frixion pen to mark a tshirt I was going to embroider. It left white marks on the shirt after ironing. They disappeared when I washed it. Good luck.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:47 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by brenwalt View Post
When using Frixion pens - be warned. There is NOTHING that will remove the ink. Yes, it becomes transparent when it is ironed but when the marked fabric is exposed to extreme cold, (such as during shipping and being stored in a warehouse) - the marks will reappear. I made a special label with instructions advising the owner of the quilt to use a hot iron to remove any marks that will reappear from exposure to cold.

The ink does wash out because I stuck a scrappy quilt in the freezer after it was washed and dried (lots of different fabric colors) no marks showed up anywhere and I used different color pens all over that quilt.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:03 AM

Washing the quilt will remove the ink lines. Be warned - don't mark your quilt, put it in the car while traveling and leave it in there for the sun to warm the car up - your lines will also disappear...LOL!!!! Of course that would not be from experience...

ducking before lightening strikes me down for lying. LOL!!
Old 11-18-2012, 10:15 AM

I have heard that the Frixion Pens should never be used on batik fabric. Have used on others, mainly in seam allowance and have had no problems.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:21 AM

The bleached lines went away in the washing and drying. I have now put the quilt in my garage - maybe 45-50F. I'll see if the lines come back and I'll make another post on this board. Thanks for the heads-up.

Originally Posted by brenwalt View Post
When using Frixion pens - be warned. There is NOTHING that will remove the ink. Yes, it becomes transparent when it is ironed but when the marked fabric is exposed to extreme cold, (such as during shipping and being stored in a warehouse) - the marks will reappear. I made a special label with instructions advising the owner of the quilt to use a hot iron to remove any marks that will reappear from exposure to cold.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:38 AM

This is because ironing does not remove the pen, it makes it appear to have disapeared...it will come back if you put the item in the freezer for awhile.
I think it washes out...not sure, don't use them...someone on one of the groups/boards I am on mentioned how to remove. I think they showed pics holding the sample to the light, and you could see where the pen had marked..like a shadow...so was still there, just not visible on the surface.

Originally Posted by bob1414 View Post
Just a word of warning to anyone using Frixion pens....

I marked a batik baby quilt with some designs for machine quilting. I injured my hand and had to take a few days off - when I resumed work on the baby quilt, I decided to change the design. I ironed the areas to remove the designs and the ink disappeared ..BUT.......the ink appears to have bleached the lines into the batik. They are noticeable, a bit faint but I can definitely see them. I don't know if it's because I used batiks (I prewashed!!), the lines were left on the fabric for a few days or if my pens have old ink - not sure why. Please be warned.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:34 PM
mah

I heard that you are not suppose to use the Frixion pens on batiks. I have used them on my cotton fabric and so far have not had a problem. Also there are Frixion pens that are " highlighters" and not suppose to use those on batiks either. I have not tried those kind.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:03 PM

What grannie cheechee said above is true. The lines reappear when the quilt is cold but are removed again when you go over them with a warm iron. I had not heard what 117 becca said; however, I will try to remember that one.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:16 PM

Do you think it would be possible to touch-up the light lines with a thin fabric dye marker? that might save your project. Sorry I don't have a brand name, but have seen them at a retail store. Perhaps it was Michaels or Hobby Lobby. I feel your pain.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:51 PM
Power Poster

Thank you for the info.