Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Warning...don't organize your stash! >

Warning...don't organize your stash!

Warning...don't organize your stash!

Old 06-10-2011, 10:28 AM
Banned

I used to live about an half hour away from our local shop but I bought my first home in December and am now 1.3 miles fro mteh shop. I did tell my daughter who refers to me as a horder that everyone is talking about how high cotton prices are going so technically I was pre-planning so I wouldn't have to buy while the prices are up. It sounded good to me.

Vicky

Originally Posted by mama's place
I think we all have similar stashes or kits, etc. But if there are any that you no longer want to make or finish, sell them on here if having so much is making you feel guilty. In this economy it makes me feel fortunate that I can sew without having to buy unless I need something to complete a project. I live an hour away from a quilt shop so it saves me gas money also to have fabric and supplies on hand. Do I sound like I am making excuses for folks like us? LOL
Old 06-10-2011, 10:31 AM
Power Poster

Ummm - I don't recall asking any of you over to snitch on me

:oops: :oops:
Old 06-10-2011, 10:32 AM

I hope batting didn't count in that, "I won't buy" statement. I was going to quilt my table topper and realized I didn't have batting for it! I believe thread and batting is not the same as buying fabric...right??!??

Just a tip: I ran to Michaels with my 40% off coupon and bought Hobbs Heirloom cotton batting (queen size) for $14.99 less the coupon. Then I ran to Hobby Lobby for (just ONE ITTY BITTY YARD OF FABRIC to line my apron I'm making this weekend) and their Hobbs Heirloom cotton batting, same size was $19.99! That's quite a bit difference when you're talking 25% difference! Okay...back on the bandwagon for now! Plus...(I say this as I'm giving myself a pat on the back) I'm skipping the Central Oklahoma Quilt Shop Hop that started today! I seriously do not need the temptation so I'm staying home and sewing!

Vanessa in Oklahoma
Old 06-10-2011, 10:34 AM

Thank you for the warning! I just came home for lunch and thought it was time to organize my stash and the so called "fabric anex" (dh term for my spare room) this weekend. You have saved me a ton of work. ROTFL!!!!!
Originally Posted by pineneedles4
I give you this warning as a friend...Don't Organize your Stash! It might make you feel guilty. I decided yesterday to organize my stash. I wanted to put all of the batiks together, the cottons together and fabric for sewing clothes together. Well, while in the process of sorting...I kept coming across bags that held complete quilt kits or fabric for quilts with the pattern that I had picked out. I found 16 different quilt kits plus two quilt tops! (I'm going to take a wild guess that I MUST enjoy the planning process more than the actual sewing process...or at least this is what the evidence is pointing to...but I LOVE the sewing process...could it be that I just LOVE it all a little too much?) These are complete, ready to make with the patterns and most of them even had the quilt backing with them! Four were cut out and three were partially sewn! I also found the pattern and fabric for a new apron, the pattern and fabric for a bow-tuck purse, and the fabric for three different table toppers! So....I am banning myself from the fabric/quilt shops until I have completed at least half of these items!

I will not buy fabric, I will not buy fabric, I will not buy fabric!

I am not a fabriholic...I can quit anytime....I will not buy fabric!

Vanessa in Oklahoma
Old 06-10-2011, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by pineneedles4
I hope batting didn't count in that, "I won't buy" statement. I was going to quilt my table topper and realized I didn't have batting for it! I believe thread and batting is not the same as buying fabric...right??!??

Just a tip: I ran to Michaels with my 40% off coupon and bought Hobbs Heirloom cotton batting (queen size) for $14.99 less the coupon. Then I ran to Hobby Lobby for (just ONE ITTY BITTY YARD OF FABRIC to line my apron I'm making this weekend) and their Hobbs Heirloom cotton batting, same size was $19.99! That's quite a bit difference when you're talking 25% difference! Okay...back on the bandwagon for now! Plus...(I say this as I'm giving myself a pat on the back) I'm skipping the Central Oklahoma Quilt Shop Hop that started today! I seriously do not need the temptation so I'm staying home and sewing!

Vanessa in Oklahoma
I think I have read that the promise not to buy anything doesnt apply to things you need to finish a WIP or UFO... :)
Old 06-10-2011, 10:52 AM

Thanks for the warning!!! Keep promising myself I will 'organize' my stash, but keep finding half done projects!!!!Did try to make a start last weekend then found the 2 Bug Quilts I posted recently!!!! Decided my stash breeds during the hours of darkness anyway.... so will leave well alone!!!!!!
Old 06-10-2011, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
OK, thanks. I've been waiting for someone to tell me not to do additional work for a while now!!!!!! (not too sure about holding off on fabric purchases though)
Didn't you just go looking for Grannies Star quilt pattern from Fons & porter? There you go again. LOL
Old 06-10-2011, 11:52 AM

I cleaned mine up and found great fabrics on quilting board so have a pile on the floor and need to get a baby quilt going
Old 06-10-2011, 11:56 AM

I went to a new(to me), very beautiful quilt shop last night, got overwhelmed with all the fabric and left with a yard of clearance fabric and a quilt pattern...I know how hard it is to not buy! My LQS has a sign over one of the fabric shelves that says, "You can never have enough fabric"...it's addictive! Best of luck...maybe you can host a UFO night at your house and work on some of those! :)
Old 06-10-2011, 01:02 PM

You can tell yourself that all you want. We all know the truth, it may last a week or two. You'll see a quilt here or a fabric sale in the paper. You might just need to get some thread and OH MY GOSH look at that fabric. Okay just one yard and before you know it you've fell off the wagon and into the biggest pile of fabric yet. We've all done it and there may be some that actually can do it. But the stats say its just not as likely that you can give up fabric because its socially acceptable and others are envious of your stash. So they encourage to just get a few more yard, go ahead its okay, whats it gonna hurt. Little do they know that the adrenaline rushing through your veins it techni-colored with batiks and calico. The worst of all adrenaline rushes. We all applaud your courage and your will, but we know you just won't be happy until you get that one last fix, so go ahead, whats it gonna hurt...