Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Warning...don't organize your stash! >

Warning...don't organize your stash!

Warning...don't organize your stash!

Old 06-10-2011, 01:08 PM

I will pray for you my child..lol..mine is organized and have you ever found something.. that you wonder where your mind was when you bought it? I told myself I would use my stash this summer..new quilt shop opened..right by my house..had to look..lol..I now have a beautiful new..red batik..I feel your pain..good luck !!
Old 06-10-2011, 01:33 PM
Power Poster

I know I have more fabric than I'll ever use. I'm going to my favorite lqs tommorow to get a backing fabric for a recently finished scrappy log cabin. I made a vow to use all my scraps up before I purchase new material, except for what I "need". I'll be making scrap quilts for about 10 years. I can count six finished large scrappies and haven't made a dent yet. If I ever actually empty one large tote, I will have accomplished something!

One helpful hint for people who buy yards of fabric. There is a store near me that sells quality fabric, all for
$3.00 a yrd. Who could resist buying yards of the stuff for backings. I have so much that I am going to make whole cloth quilts from it for practice, just to use it up.
peace :D
Old 06-10-2011, 02:36 PM

I think I have read that the promise not to buy anything doesnt apply to things you need to finish a WIP or UFO... :)[/quote]

I think you are quite right!

Vanessa in Oklahoma
Old 06-10-2011, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by leatheflea
You can tell yourself that all you want. We all know the truth, it may last a week or two. You'll see a quilt here or a fabric sale in the paper. You might just need to get some thread and OH MY GOSH look at that fabric. Okay just one yard and before you know it you've fell off the wagon and into the biggest pile of fabric yet. We've all done it and there may be some that actually can do it. But the stats say its just not as likely that you can give up fabric because its socially acceptable and others are envious of your stash. So they encourage to just get a few more yard, go ahead its okay, whats it gonna hurt. Little do they know that the adrenaline rushing through your veins it techni-colored with batiks and calico. The worst of all adrenaline rushes. We all applaud your courage and your will, but we know you just won't be happy until you get that one last fix, so go ahead, whats it gonna hurt...
OMG! You are so funny! And....I must agree with you on the adrenaline rush! Thank goodness I'm addicted to a legal 'stimulant'!

Vanessa in Oklahoma
Old 06-10-2011, 06:38 PM

I promised myself not to buy any more fabric until all of my UFO's were finished or my stash was depleted. Who was I kidding? That lasted until I got my next paycheck. Was it really my fault that there were a half dozen bolts with less than a yard on each one? Was it my fault that these all coordinated? Was it my fault that I needed 3 solids to tie all of these prints together? I ask you, was it my fault?
Old 06-10-2011, 06:56 PM

I enjoyed reading all your posts....and I agree!
Old 06-10-2011, 07:01 PM

Vanessa you forgot to add "unless" (smile)
Old 06-10-2011, 07:01 PM

Good luck with that Vanessa ! LOL
Old 06-10-2011, 09:16 PM

[quote=sylviak]I'm an organizer in moderation. If I organize too much, I'm afraid to touch it...might mess it up! So, I try to keep a comfortable level so I don't feel guilty when I dig through.[quote]

I AM an organizer professionally so my stash is organized pretty well by default . I have large plastic zip bags that holds specific projects in them...I don't have a room or closet so I have the bags and under the bed storage boxes...my machine has to be put away when I am done for the day because my sewing spot is the dining room table. I don't feel a bit guilty about my stash, yet...LOL!
Old 06-11-2011, 02:39 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for your post. I had my husband read it and told him I wasn't so bad after all.