Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

Thread: WARNING FRIXION PENS

These were being sold at the 2011 NW Quilters Expo....there ARE some things to consider. One thought --we live in an area where the temps drop to 20 below at night --- would not be far-fetched to believe the quilt I'm sending out just might be left in the PO overnight --- therefore -- my quilts MAY be in a "freezer"

More than one sales booth had these pens and all of them said the same thing:

1) the ink does NOT go into the fabric --- it "floats" on top. So no worry there.

2) if you don't wash the quilt after it's finished (like my customer quilts aren't washed by me) then use a steamer and steam the ink off. They ALL assured me the ink would not show up later on. They were ALL emphatic that just ironing will not guarantee the ink disappears forever.

Note: I haven't tried it yet ----- don't blame me if anything goes wrong, I'm just the messenger

Thank you for confirming a question I had at a show here in Denver this summer - the pen was all the rage and the vendor
    wouldn't (said they didn't know - HA!) give me a straight answer about what happens when it was in the freezer. The pens weren't in any specific factory packaging. Now my concern has been addressed. Thank you for taking the time to give us the long version of your experiment.

Thanks for the warning.

Quote Originally Posted by amandasgramma
    These were being sold at the 2011 NW Quilters Expo....there ARE some things to consider. One thought --we live in an area where the temps drop to 20 below at night --- would not be far-fetched to believe the quilt I'm sending out just might be left in the PO overnight --- therefore -- my quilts MAY be in a "freezer"

More than one sales booth had these pens and all of them said the same thing:

1) the ink does NOT go into the fabric --- it "floats" on top. So no worry there.

2) if you don't wash the quilt after it's finished (like my customer quilts aren't washed by me) then use a steamer and steam the ink off. They ALL assured me the ink would not show up later on. They were ALL emphatic that just ironing will not guarantee the ink disappears forever.

Note: I haven't tried it yet ----- don't blame me if anything goes wrong, I'm just the messenger

I agree - the ink doesn't go INTO the fabric but sort of floats on top. But I will either wash or steam quilts that I use the pen on. Even so - I do wonder if there is a time in which it will no longer wash off. I guess time will tell. All I can say is that I am doing applique that is not symmetrical and it is complicated. I don't know how anyone could do this without a pen like this.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roxannebcb
    I don't know how anyone could do this without a pen like this.
    I just use a light box or the window... a solution that has worked for a century.

If one is concerned about the ink in the frixion pen, wouldn't the concern of the ink in the fabric would be the same for any of the marker type pens?

Oh yes, one of the girls was using these at our July quiltfest and someone told us this same info. Very weird!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 117becca
    If one is concerned about the ink in the frixion pen, wouldn't the concern of the ink in the fabric would be the same for any of the marker type pens?
    Great point.!!!

very interesting!!

thanks for the information

Thanks for posting!

Blog Entries
    OK....a few words here....how many of our quilts go into the freezer or stay outside in 0 degree weather?

I know the ink is there, but no one has had the pens long enough to know the long term effect of that fact. So, really, don't rush to judgement. It's probably going to be longer than any of us are alive before the ink will "rot" the fabric, and perhaps never.

Blog Entries
    Yes!! The air disappearing ink is still in there, the water disappearing ink is still in there. I don't think any of the various marking inks totally washes out immediately.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hinterland
    Quote Originally Posted by Terryl
    So if I DON'T put my quilt in the freezer, and don't put them outside when it's 14* will the ink stay disappeared?
    And you don't ship them anywhere that requires air travel. I think it gets pretty cold in the cargo hold.

Janet
    Nope, that's not true any longer. All airplanes are completely pressurized and temperature controlled.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Priss
    I saw this used this week on the Fons and Porter TV show. quilt show. Thank you for that information.
    OK...how many of you trust F&Ps information?? Hands?? Me!! I trust them to not suggest using products that will harm my quilts.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Theresa
    Quote Originally Posted by noahscats7
    Glad I don't store my quilts in the freezer. I have 8 colors of the pens and I LOVE them. Gotta figure those extremes don't happen in many houses.
    Amen
    Yes, I agree with this!!

Janice - thanks for letting us know about the fons and porter endorsement. I think I will let this go now and feel good about using my pens. I love them and they have made my life so much easier. I have quilt teachers who would never use anything to mark fabrics until now with these pens. They totally believe in them too. Thanks again
    Roxanne

How often will a quilt be exposed to 14F?

Blog Entries
    I wonder if it would make a difference if the fabric is pre-washed or not as far as the ink washing out after pressing...

Blog Entries
    Yes. I only use blue masking tape or clover chaco liner (white only) to mark so far. I only do straight line quilting though so it's not a big issue for me. I do have a chalk pounce kit for when I decided to brave a design.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I marked all over a white cotton tone on tone with every color of the pens I have in the set. I didn't iron it. I washed the fabric in a load of towels and dried it with the towels in the dryer. I put it in the freezer (sub 0) over night. No marks appeared. I am sure the ink washed out.
    White tone-on-tone fabric is produced using a form of acrylic fabric paint. Sometimes two tones, one whiter than the other, so that the difference in the feel of the painted portions isn't so obvious. That's why WTOT is more difficult for hand quilters to quilt through than other fabrics.

My hunch is that the fabric paint acts as a pretty good resist for the ink in the Frixion pens.

I will tell the recipient of a quilt that I marked w/ the frixion that if the lines on the quilt ever showed up again, to just take a steam iron to it again and make them go away. ;)

Blog Entries
    thanks for the heads up

I love these pens. Only make a light line when using them. Love how slender the line is. I'm not freezing my quilts so won't worry about that.

Mostly use them to sew HST's. The line is cut in the middle and sewn on each side. There is no place that it shows.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5