Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Washable bottom of tote >

Washable bottom of tote

Washable bottom of tote

Old 02-01-2018, 07:00 AM

I too like flat bottoms. The bottom of my bags measured approx.16" x 5". I cut a piece of the fabric to place on the bottom approx. 17" x 6" and sewed it centered on the bottom on only the long sides. The short end sides I left open to be able to slide in a piece of cardboard to help make the bottom stay flat. This will enable you to take out the cardboard when you want to wash it. LMK if you need more explanation. Hope this helps.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:02 AM

I use plastic needlepoint canvas. For 'regular' totes, I cover it in fabric and then it is removable when folding or washing the tote. For a grocery bag, I would probably leave it uncovered so that it can be wiped off.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by FGlinda View Post
I buy food cutting mats at the dollar store. Pretty easy to cut them into the size you want. Depending on the store sometimes I pay a dollar for one and other times I can find them with 3 in a pack. Can't beat the price! I also use this if I need to cut a template.
I never thought to use these for templates - thanks for the idea.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:07 PM

Karamarie, it's a pattern from See and Sew from Joann's. There's lots online too. It's my first try. My city is banning plastic bags. So if they're taking my bags, the poor citizens of my city will have to deal with my fabric choices 😄
Old 02-01-2018, 06:25 PM

Default bag bottoms

I usually make a sleeve in the bottom of my bags, and can slide the piece in or out to use or wash. I go to the local auto glass shop and have them cut me a piece of heavy duty plexiglass to my size-and they will round the corners for you, too. Usually made right while you wait.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:11 PM

Old cutting mats work for me. No need to cover them just cut to fit then round the corners. Also many stores sell tote bags at a small price, like Trader Joe's at $3.99. Then put your own bottom in and you have a great bag.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:01 PM

Make a sleeve for the cardboard. Take it out when you wash the bag.
Old 02-04-2018, 12:08 PM

I make a pillow case pocket looking thing the size of the bottom of the bag and slide the firm material in the pocket case. You don’t know it is there if you use the same fabric as the bag. When I launder them, I just pull the pocket out and remove the cardboard, plastic or whatever I have used and wash the bag and the pocket. I do this for purses too and use the lining fabric so it is not noticeable. Some times I put a bank envelope with cash under there for emergencies, uhh like quilt shows �� or when I am carrying larger amounts of money.