Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Washing fabric

Yes, I always wash and dry all my fabrics as soon as I get them home, fold over my ruler and put in my fabric cabinet.

Blog Entries
    I always wash my fabric before using. Except for fat quarters. they are so small that I do not bother.
    Charlene

when i come in from the garage after shopping, i have to walk right past the washer & dryer.

all my fabric stops there, i wash everything in hot water & dry everything on cotton...

never had anything run or shrink after that....

course, sometimes after it gets upstairs to my sewing room, it sits for a while waiting for ironing & putting away...sometimes when i am too tired or distracted to concentrate, it makes soothing work to just stroke the fabric ...

Wow, I'm still confused abt washing material first. My sister in law owns a quilt shop and she has never washed her material first and has had no bleeds... maybe just lucky. Before i was really aware of quilt shops I bought abt 100 yards of material at Jo Ann's pre washed and ironed all of it and had no bleeds, also used white vinegar. I'm now getting ready to sew a purple and white quilt, did not first wash, Hope I didn't goof.

I wouldn't have thought it was the poor designer at fault but rather the type of fabric and ink/dye used.

Maybe1day

Blog Entries
    I only pre-wash reds to make sure they don't bleed. Otherwise, I don't wash until the project is completed. This gives it the nice wrinkly, puckered look that I like.

thanks for the tip abt cutting corners to stop fraying.

Quote Originally Posted by purplefiend
    I wash all my fabrics. I've got allergies to perfumes and chemicals that the fabrics reek of when I bring them home.
    I also don't have worry that a fabric will bleed or shrink in my finished quilt.
    I zig zag the raw edges before washing, so no ragged edges.
    Sharon
    Like you, I have allergies. Any time I am around someone with perfumes or even some body wash soaps, I cannot breathe. New fabrics bother me too, especially those pretty fleeces. I was told by a fabric store worker that foreign countries are spraying fleeces with formaldehyde to protect the fabric from bugs during its travels and storage. Added to months of packaging in plastic only makes matters worse when fabric is opened. Now, if one has regular fabric which has been sprayed, then when you iron it during piecing, you are getting those formaldehyde fumes right into your body. I definitely wash everything.

I always wash fabrics to make sure the shrinkage is done. Especially if I am going to applique

Blog Entries
    cut a 2" square of your fabrics and pin it to a piece if white fabric then wash it in a pan and dry it. you can check for color runs and shrinkage without using a lot of water and labor.
    that said we need a cheap place to buy the color catchers.

Gladstone, Oregon by way of Washington(the state)
    I'll check to see if Harbor freight to see if they have any.. lol Lord knows they have everything else...
    :-D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sahm4605
    i only wash batiks. they are a bleeding mess in many of their colors. or if I think that it will bleed then i will but otherwise i don't.
    I made a quilt but never washed the fabric. In the quilt I made, is a purplish batik used as sashing. I've been wanting to wash it in cold water and in gentle cycle but I'm afraid it might bleed. What do I do?

I don't wash before using fabric.

Blog Entries
    Many of my friends do not pre-wash and have not had problems but I definitely do pre-wash now all the time. The only time I do not is when using jelly rolls.

I have had a few problems in the past. One was with uneven shrinkage of fabrics where after washing a finished project, some fabrics did shrink alot while others in the piece were very little or did not - it produced an uneven puckering effect. I have also had fabrics bleed after a project has been completed - what a mess and all that work almost ruined! Thank goodness for color catchers, Retayne and Synthropol!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by costumegirl
    Many of my friends do not pre-wash and have not had problems but I definitely do pre-wash now all the time. The only time I do not is when using jelly rolls.

I have had a few problems in the past. One was with uneven shrinkage of fabrics where after washing a finished project, some fabrics did shrink alot while others in the piece were very little or did not - it produced an uneven puckering effect. I have also had fabrics bleed after a project has been completed - what a mess and all that work almost ruined! Thank goodness for color catchers, Retayne and Synthropol!
    Actually, I went out and bought the Shout color catcher because I really need to wash my quilt that has the purplish batik which I'm afraid to wash.

Senior Member Cheshirecatquilter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hopetoquilt
    I don't wash. Nice to know that Batiks bleed. I make several baby quilts and always warn the recipients that the quilts should be washed separately the first few times.
    Oh, honey, please have mercy on new mothers and don't make them wash things separately. They won't have the time nor the energy, and will appreciate your generous gift all the more if it can just be tossed in with the general wash without fear of it muddying or splotching that dirty mountain of pastel baby clothes.

No. Many quilts, especially ones I use for wall hangings I don't, especially since so many of the pieces are from small scraps in my stash. When using batiks or doing a swap, I wash in cold water on gentle with an odorless colorless detergent and add one of those color sheets that catch the color. I know Shout makes the ones I use. I just washed 15 different fabrics, some of them batiks and had no problems

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I wash and don't wash, just depends. God bless.

Gladstone, Oregon by way of Washington(the state)
    Same here.

I always wash the fabrics when I first get them. Then dry & fold. I only iron when I am ready to use them.

I wash all my fabric before I use it . I use a sheet of color catcher by shot and it does a wonderful job of any fabrics that want to run.
    I know the problem of not knowing which fabrics that you have washed and haven't. So I have gone through all of the bins of fabric and serged the raw edges and then I washed and ironed and folded on plastic fgolding boards.
    Now it is easy for me to sort all the fabric out.
    I have to admit it was a heck alot of work and I ended up with some killer back aches. Also the fabric that I haven't gotten to yet isn't serged yet.
    I have decided none is going into my cabinet until this has been done. And so if I cut some off the end it will not be serged but it will be back in the cabinet.
    Hopefully this will keep me organized.
    kjym Kathy

I wash everything except jelly rolls. My stash is still small.

mine does not go into my sewing room until it is washed

Two solutions for washing fat quarters: 1) put them in a laundry bag - the kind used for washing hosiery, or 2) after washing them, put the fat quarters in your salad spinner, spin it and they are almost dry. Have used both and they work!

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the tip TX GMimi! Never thought of using my salad spinner.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast