Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Washing fabric

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TX GMimi
    Two solutions for washing fat quarters: 1) put them in a laundry bag - the kind used for washing hosiery, or 2) after washing them, put the fat quarters in your salad spinner, spin it and they are almost dry. Have used both and they work!
    Wow never thought about using a salad spinner in this manner.
    Boy what we quilters can come up with.

I use Retayne to soak my batiks and colors that I think will run.
    That way I have never had a problem. The directions say to use
    1 tsp per yd of fabric but I only use 1/2 tsp per yd and soak the fabric
    in hot water for 45 mins. I then put it through a cold rinse in my
    washing machine and then dry it. This works really well for me.
    I am a slow quilter and would be devastated if fabrics bled
    after I was done. Also, I give a lot of quilts away and so I want
    to be sure they don't run since I am not the one washing them.
    Judy

Quote Originally Posted by martapr
    Quote Originally Posted by costumegirl
    Many of my friends do not pre-wash and have not had problems but I definitely do pre-wash now all the time. The only time I do not is when using jelly rolls.

I have had a few problems in the past. One was with uneven shrinkage of fabrics where after washing a finished project, some fabrics did shrink alot while others in the piece were very little or did not - it produced an uneven puckering effect. I have also had fabrics bleed after a project has been completed - what a mess and all that work almost ruined! Thank goodness for color catchers, Retayne and Synthropol!
    Actually, I went out and bought the Shout color catcher because I really need to wash my quilt that has the purplish batik which I'm afraid to wash.
    I use the Shout color catcher on my quilts and I love it. It really works well.

I ALWAYS wash my fabric first! I spent months on a red, white and blue quilt which became a red, PINK and blue quilt after the first washing! That was in 1994. My daughter's dogs slept on it for years!

I wash my fabric and iron it and then mark if with colored safety pins as to how much is there. Green pins are 2 yds red 1 yd etc.

I do not alway wash my fabric for a quick wall hanging as that will rarely get washed

I also use shout color catchers

How do you wash large pieces of fabric with out it getting all tangled up. this has been a nightmare for me

Quote Originally Posted by SewSewGal
    How do you wash large pieces of fabric with out it getting all tangled up. this has been a nightmare for me

Here's what you do: You pin the edges together along the selvedge and wash, rinse, dry! As an added bonus to doing it this way you may not even have to iron it! (Depends on the fabric)

Quote Originally Posted by missgigglewings

Here's what you do: You pin the edges together along the selvedge and wash, rinse, dry! As an added bonus to doing it this way you may not even have to iron it! (Depends on the fabric)
    What a neat idea! Thanks for sharing!! This is one I'll most definitely use.

Power Poster
    I think the advice that one doesn't need to wash fabric before cutting it (especially for an item that will be washed again) is right up there with thinking that one can't get pregnant the first time one has sex.

i used to have that problem, but when we had to replace the washer, we got a front loader... mostly to save excess water going thru the septic system, but a nice side benefit was that my large pcs of fabric aren't tangled up anymore...

went shopping on the way home, washer is running as we speak!!

I learned the hard way. washed red rug and a few days later other cloths..now i have all pink panties, bras, a couple of pink under shirts...i'm color coordinated....all pink....also, got rid of the rugs....

I always wash all but flanney if making a rag quilt....

And if using flanel for backing I was at least 2 times for flanel will shrink a few times just like blue jeans.

ConnieF

Oh in reading more I steam jelly rolls etc before using

Don"t wash fabric that you are going to use for any fussy cutting or kalidioscope projects because we had folks in a class once who did and their projects would never come out
    the way they were supposed to be. I don't know why but they don't.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by nature1953
    Don"t wash fabric that you are going to use for any fussy cutting or kalidioscope projects because we had folks in a class once who did and their projects would never come out
    the way they were supposed to be. I don't know why but they don't.
    I washed the fabric I used for this type of block - I did use sizing or starch on this fabric before cutting it - and my blocks are just fine.

I fussy cut each piece individually.

Banned
    ALWAYS, never used to, but was told that I MUST and so glad that I do, bought a quilt top ,assured no need to wash but did and WOW LOTS BLED V BADLY!!

A friend of mine once said she doesn't wash fabrics before because she doesn't want her quilts to look old before she makes them. If I wash a quilt I always use vinegar in the wash to help keep the colors from running. Otherwise, I try not to wash quilts.

Power Poster
    An interesting article about dyes and setting dyes

http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/FAQ/settingdye.shtml

I bought a piece of dearer of red fabric since it was the only one I could get. well I washed it to get the excess dye out of it and it kept bleeding. I used 2-44gallon drums of cold water and it still bled. I returned it to shop and got the brand I always buy. Now I wash all my fabric in hot soapy water and put salt and vinegar in the water to help set the dye, leaving the water to go cold. When I rinse the fabric I do it in hot water, if it bleeds I repeat the process, but it never has so far. Thank goodness, we only have tanks and can't afford water wastage. I just read you link on dyeing and I still think for me any way salt and vinegar together stops the dye from bleeding.

Blog Entries
    I have the prducts Retayne and Synthropol on the recommendation of a friend but I am not sure when to use which. Can someone give me more info about them?

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    An interesting article about dyes and setting dyes

http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/FAQ/settingdye.shtml
    it really is worth reading - and not overly technical

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the link - guess I should have read it before asking the question :)

Power Poster
    I get all of them confused, too.

My method is to wash/soak the fabric until the water runs clear - or clear "enough"

My reason is that I am reasonably sure that the quilt will need to be washed at some time. I am also reasonably sure that the recipient will not be aware of all these techniques - about the best I hope for is "wash in warm or cold water - on a gentle cycle - and avoiding bleach or bleach-like substances"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4