Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Washing a quilt before giving it away? >

Washing a quilt before giving it away?

Washing a quilt before giving it away?

Old 10-09-2013, 03:05 AM

me too wash after quilting as I use a small q-snap frame and it gets drug around a lot while quilting
Old 10-09-2013, 03:05 AM

I, too, love the "crisp" of a new and unwashed quilt. That said, I wash those babies before they move on. I want to know if there are any problems.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:27 AM

I always wash quilts that I will be giving away...especially the ones donated for raffles, I use color catchers to catch any possible color transfer. I include a note stating that the quilt has been washed and then wrapped in tissue paper. I also include washing instructions. I have dogs that leave their fur everywhere, it does not bother us but it may be offensive to others!
Old 10-09-2013, 04:03 AM

Thanks for this post, I have seen people mention that they wash a finished quilt before gifting but I never put too much thought into the question, but now, with everyone supplying all the information I will wash before gifting. I love the look of my newly finished quilts but also love how quilts look after washing, the softness, the crinkling, it's sort of a romance look to a quilt, so from here forward - WASH!
Old 10-09-2013, 04:27 AM

I always wash after as I don't wash before. I use many color catchers with the first couple of washes - include them with the quilt. I love the crinkles, it's why I don't wash before sewing. (And the fact I'm too lazy) lol It does also seem to point to problems before it walks out the door.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:31 AM

I always wash before gifting. Agree that they look so crisp and neat BUT I use warm and natural so washing making it crinkle and soften. I'm always afraid that if I don't wash it first, they'll think they ruined it when they remove it from the washer/dryer. Plus I like the idea of a clean gift.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:38 AM

I am renegade, I do not wash the quilt before gifting, unless I spray baste. With baby quilts, every new time mother washes everthing in "her" choice of detergent, so I do not wash them either.

I do always prewash all my fabric now, and my quilting studio is kept clean. I like the look of the quilt when I gift it, crisp. like new clothes,
I don't wash/or dry clean my new dresses, jackets, blouses, socks, slacks before wearing. ( i do wash undies first) I do give washing instructions with my quilt. I love seeing my quilt at the recipients home, either washed or still crisp.

I hope this doesn't bring on the quilt police. This is something I don't think I will ever do.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Reb View Post
I wash too. Just found the color catchers and I don't prewash fabric anymore. I was very happy I washed the quilt with the color catchers. They came out pink and I used fabric made by one of the best mfgs.
I always my quilts (except for art quilts) before giving them away and include a brief note on how to wash it if needed. I have had some colors bleed a little. Thank goodness for the color catchers. They work.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:44 AM

I always wash my quilts after I finish making them because they have been around and I have cats and dogs, so their fur gets everywhere. If the quilt sits around for a while before I give it (since I am always making quilts for charity) I will wash it again beofer giving to away.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:48 AM

I always wash a quilt before gifting for all of the above reasons. I made one quilt that I pre-washed the batting (it was Hobbs 80/20). When I washed the quilt after completion it did not have as much of the crinkly look because the batting had already shrunk. I liked the look for that quilt-it was oriental prints. I discovered that was an option and that the batting would not tear apart when washed on the gentle cycle and dried in the dryer on medium temperature. I confess that I thought I had ruined the batting when I took it out of the washer and put it into the dryer-but it was really nice to work with. I always wash the finished product because I like to use Elmer's school glue to baste the quilt and I use Crayola washable markers to mark with and I like to starch the backing. All the background stuff needs to disappear!