Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
washing a quilt or not, before storing >

washing a quilt or not, before storing

washing a quilt or not, before storing

Old 06-22-2015, 01:49 PM

Default washing a quilt or not, before storing

I have just finished quilting a king size quilt, I did use 505 when putting the layers together before quilting it.

I won't be using this quilt and it will just go in a chest to store till I do need it for a present or for me to use in the future..

My question is should I wash this quilt before I store it or will it be safe to store as is...It seems to be very clean all but the 505 that I used. I didn't know if this product had to be washed out before storing ...What are your thoughts on this..

I will have to take the quilt to the laundromat as my washed has a very small tub, but if need be I will take it to be washed.. Thanks
Old 06-22-2015, 02:03 PM

I would wash it. I would not want the 505 to stay for however long you'll have it in storage. Also, fabrics tend to just produce spots when they're stored. Washing it will help prevent that. I'm sure more people here than just me would love to see it before it goes into hiding.
Old 06-22-2015, 02:10 PM
Power Poster

I have no idea what 505 does since I don't use it. It is a chemical though and I would be leery of the effects of not washing it. I would at least let it air out some before storing it. Maybe put it on a bed for a while. I do think I would wash it to be on the safe side. Spray cans have propellants in them and you would be ready to just wrap it up when you need a verrryyyyy nicccceeeee gift. would love to see photos.
Old 06-22-2015, 03:22 PM

I would wash any quilt before storing or giving away. That's just me. I hate surprises..that way.
Old 06-22-2015, 03:23 PM
Power Poster

I wash every quilt as soon as the binding is done. I figure by the time I've finished it can't be all that clean, having been handled so much, laid out on the floor, ... I often use starch that needs to come out, and I want to see how it looks after washing. To me, washing and blocking (if necessary) are the final steps in making the quilt.
Old 06-22-2015, 03:29 PM
Power Poster

I soak mine, spin out, refill and soak and then spin out again. If you don't store it for long it should be fine.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:52 PM

I can't wait to wash my quilts after they are done...to see what they really look like. I wash in cool water, gentle cycle, low dryer.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:03 PM

I agree with above posts, wash it. I too like to wash them so I'll know for sure how they are going to tolerate being washed, and because for me, they are full of starch, glue, dust, whatever from being handled/drug around so much during the process of making. I only put mine in the dryer for about 10-15 minutes, then hang to complete drying.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:12 PM

I'm with the others, I would wash the finished quilt before putting it away. I look at it this way .... you have handled the fabric while piecing, it's thrown up on a design wall or design floor, you also are handling the quilt during the quilting process plus using 505. With all that handling I don't feel that the finished quilt is really all that clean.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:32 PM

I'm more worried about the chest than I am the 505. Please wrap the quilt in a pillowcase before storing.