Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Washing Quilts >

Washing Quilts

Washing Quilts

Old 04-18-2011, 09:36 AM

I pre-wash EVERYTHING-no exceptions. After a quilt is done, I wash it in my front load washer (very little water) on a "quick wash" in cold and put it in the dryer on regular heat by time - based on the size. This is for lap size and above. If you take it out right away, you shouldn't need to iron. Small wall hangings, same as above with a load of well-washed colors. Art quilts don't get washed.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:53 AM

I use my normal setting of warm, wash with a color catcher just in case and dry normally. I want my quilts to be useable - not just for show.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:02 AM

I prewash my fabrics in fabric fixataive detergent. I use Dharma Trading dye fixative for all my fabrics. After a quilt is finished, I don't need to wash it. Most of mine are wall hangings. If I do wash a quilt, I use "Quilt Soap" which is Sodium Laurel Sulfate only-no whiteners or brighteners. You can buy this product at a feed store. It's horse shampoo. Ortho makes a quilt soap. Same stuff, more expensive. Regular laundry detergent has whiteners and brighteners. They'll take the color out of your quilt fabrics.

Cynthia
Old 04-18-2011, 10:10 AM

I ussually prewash my fabrics and then wash the quilt in the waher on regular setting and put in a dryer. The quilts I make are meant to be used, so they need to be washabe in a normal way.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:11 AM
Power Poster

I use Woolite with cold water in the permanent press cycle. Give it an extra spin and toss it in the dryer. Now that is for MY own quilts.

Gifts - I usually toss in the dryer with a damp bath towel and a dryer sheet to get any threads and dust off and to freshen it up.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:17 AM

No pre-washing for me, throw a completed quilt in the wash with a color catcher and regular laundry detergent, run through one cold water wash cycle and a double rinse cycle. Toss in the dryer on medium heat until nice and dry. If there is any shrinkage it just adds to the crinkley old-fashioned look of the quilt, which is fine by me since I make all of my quilts to be used (the crinkley the better) Is crinkley a real word?? :-)
Old 04-18-2011, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by BeckiQuilts
Just did a heart breaking job. Had ordered six pieces of Bird Song GORGEOUS fabric. Our very sweet and helpful mail carrier had placed the shipping box FULL of fabric on a block near our garage, since it wouldn't fit my mail box. Had a huge storm, and didn't find it until the next morning. Every piece was totally soaked! I washed with color catchers, and just starched and ironed about 10/12 total yards of it. Two pieces still had running colors. So sad, but still can use most of it.
bummer. :( I always thought fabrics like Moda wouldn't run no matter what. apparently not. Maybe it was because they were so stuck together and sitting for so long. In a washer, they aren't mashed together and it's only in the water for a few minutes.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by kraftykimberly
No pre-washing for me, throw a completed quilt in the wash with a color catcher and regular laundry detergent, run through one cold water wash cycle and a double rinse cycle. Toss in the dryer on medium heat until nice and dry. If there is any shrinkage it just adds to the crinkley old-fashioned look of the quilt, which is fine by me since I make all of my quilts to be used (the crinkley the better) Is crinkley a real word?? :-)
If crinkley isn't a real word, it is now. I knew what you meant. :thumbup:
Old 04-18-2011, 04:15 PM

I wash mine in warm water with regular laundry soap and color catcher. I also do not pre wash my fabric because I like the crinkly look.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:31 PM

i wash mine in the washer with warm water and just a bit of gain laundry soap , put in the dryer for a bit , and if it is nice outside i will lay it in the sun to finish drying otherwise dry ti all the way in the dryer, i also pre wash my fabric before using ti