Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Waste or Not? >

Waste or Not?

Waste or Not?

Old 03-07-2014, 07:23 AM

I was thinking the same thing on the selvedges. At lease keep those, they add up and someone on here would love to have them.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:43 AM

All but the very narrowest ones could be used to make a raw-edged woven fabric for a project like a cosmetic bag such as this one I made long ago. Lay out the strips vertically touching each other on a pin-able surface and pin at each end. Then weave strips in and out in the horizontally. Stitch down the center of each row with wide zigzag or decorative stitches. I really don't remember if I used a base fabric under the first strips or not, but it seems like it would help stabilize it. Here is the one I made into a cosmetic bag.
Attached Thumbnails bagg.png  
Old 03-07-2014, 08:50 AM
Swap Hosts

Those scraps look pretty skinny to me. I recently made a quilt top from fabric scraps -- HSTs cut on my GO! -- and I ended up with quite a few bits and pieces so I made a skinny scrappy border. You can see a bit of it here:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]466086[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails scrap-quilt-1.jpg  
Old 03-07-2014, 09:12 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by nygal View Post
I don't have one but I think there is "waste" in cutting fabrics more or less no matter how you cut it.
This was my immediate thought.
As for saving this...I used to do that believing that I would stuff pillows etc.
For me, it was a waste of space, as I realized I would rather use a stuffing that is firmer and won't "lump"
so much, so I finally found the courage to THROW IT AWAY
Shocking I know!
But, do I ever feel better!!! I've since started purging and donating things all over my house.
If that is all you have left, think of all the fabric that is getting used from those cuts.
Like they say, "Accentuate the positive"...wishing you a happy day
Old 03-07-2014, 09:17 AM

I put most of my little scraps in a zippered pillow case .. I keep adding to it and will eventually make a pillow cover. I do like the idea of pet beds too.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:24 AM
Power Poster

That would land right in the trash at my house.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:28 AM

I'd throw them out or give them away. No sense fiddling around with these when I could be working on a quilt I really want to make. If these scraps speak to you, then use them. However, because you say you don't know what to do with them, it doesn't sound like you are very thrilled having them around.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:13 PM
Power Poster

I personally don't see any more waste than when I'm cutting strips, pieces, etc. I did see Georgia Bonesteel use scraps like these to stuff the chicken pin cushions. Unless I were planning to stuff small pillows for pets or whatever, or saving them to throw out for the birds to help them build their nests, I would more than likely toss them. Although, looking again they might be pretty placed in a clear jar in your sewing room.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:16 PM

For me, it has to be 3/4" wide to save it. You lose 1/2" with a quarter-inch seam.
If you have a place to save it, and would use it- it does make good pillow/pet-bed stuffing.

I try not to waste, but I also try not to hoard.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Billi View Post
For me not waste. I love the accurate cuts and I don't have to trim or square up nearly as much after piecing if I had cut them with a roller and ruler. Plus now I don't buy the precuts at a premium I cut my own strips, shapes and squares saving money in the long run.
I usually cut the old fashioned way - but I have to agree, I get probably the same amount of waste evening up edges to start and then evening up every so many cuts. Personally I would give it to who ever wanted it (if you have someone close by) or file it in my wastebin!