Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Water In Your Iron or A Spray Bottle >

Water In Your Iron or A Spray Bottle

Water In Your Iron or A Spray Bottle

Old 03-19-2015, 04:31 PM

I have a rowenta and oliso, both leak. Conclusion irons leak. I still ad water but sometimes it can be a headache if it leaks. My rowenta likes to choose when it leaks, sometimes it does not. I got an oliso just for stean to use my rowenta as a dry iron since the heat of it can't be beat and it heats up super fast way faster than the oliso even in auto shutoff it heats super fast. Oliso brand new leaked so what is a girl to do. It leaks less than my rowenta so it will be my steam iron
Old 03-19-2015, 05:06 PM

Well I am going to stop putting water in my Oliso, which I love as it seems the majority uses a spray bottle. Excellent discussion my friends, thank you so very much for sharing your experience.
Old 03-19-2015, 05:49 PM

I once heard Alex Anderson talk about "incontinent irons," and how irons get that way as they age. I absolutely laughed out loud, but I understood what she meant. Since that time, I have only used spray bottles.

Pam
Old 03-19-2015, 06:18 PM

Spray bottle for me...BUT...only because I've dropped my iron so many times it leaks like crazy...won't hold water. I need a new one....just haven't gotten around to it!!
Old 03-19-2015, 06:32 PM

Amen! Do whatever works for you! froggyintexas
Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams View Post
Water in my iron and a water spray bottle to use for added steam. I often prefer steam. I consider other people's suggestions and then make my own decisions as to what I prefer, like prewash or never prewash fabric; washable glue for basting, etc.
Old 03-20-2015, 05:39 AM

I would never put water in my steam iron. I much prefer the spray bottle.
Old 03-20-2015, 05:55 AM

I have one of these irons, too. Got it from Amazon. And it doesn't have an auto-shutoff, which I like. I have one bottle of Best Press which is diluted 50/50 with water and one bottle which is full strength. I put a dab of nail polish on the diluted bottle so I can tell at a glance which is which. If I just need to take the wrinkles out of a piece of fabric, I use the diluted -- spray well, get up and get a glass of iced tea to give it time to soak into the fabric, then press. If I need a crisp seam or want to stabilize the edges, I use the full strength. In my 50+ years of sewing / quilting, I've never had a steam iron that didn't eventually spit out gunk. even if I used purified or distilled water. If I ever wanted to get another steam iron, I'd probably spring for the Reliable iron.

And I don't prewash fabrics, either, unless I'm doing an exchange of some kind where prewashing is in requirements.

Originally Posted by SueSew View Post
I have a $29 no-steam iron which has no holes in it - flat, shiny bottom. Works great, piece of cake to clean, no potential rust or mineral buildups inside the iron, no crud in the holes from starch or glue or dust or whatever.

I use a spray bottle of water with a fine mist as needed. But I very infrequently dampen pieces - I generally use a light starch or water spray to kill the bad mid-width creases and I try to work with the fabric as opposed to against it. Heat does the trick, not steam, for me.

But don't cal the quilt police as I don't pre-wash!
Old 03-20-2015, 07:35 AM

I starch my fabrics before working with them, and use a spray bottle with water.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:37 AM

I use filtered water in my iron and regular water in my spray bottle. I use whichever one works at the time for me. I tend to go thru irons a lot though. I read online to clean out your iron with vinegar and water. NOT!!!!! Loved that old iron too. Worked for about 10 minutes after using the vinegar and water and then it quit so won't do that again. The iron I have now is supposed to not drip but I find it does just the same. I have one of those expensive steam irons but don't care for it so its collecting dust on a rack above my ironing board in case the present iron goes on the fritz I'll have something to work with until I get another one.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:51 AM
Power Poster

I dropped my new expensive iron on the floor and now it leaks. So no steam for that one. I told myself when I bought it I shouldn't as I'm terribly hard on irons. I'll buy one at Walmart and not feel bad when I break it.