Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wavy border, to redo or not? >

Wavy border, to redo or not?

Wavy border, to redo or not?

Old 01-28-2010, 05:09 PM
Dix

Originally Posted by LindaR
Originally Posted by katsewnsew
I would redo them because you have a beautiful quilt top and I would think it would be worth it. I am working on an Amish quilt that is really getting a lot of "seam ripper" usage, but I will not give up. I know it will look good when done -
I would too...a quilt teacher told me NEVER measure the sides, measure thru the middle both ways and then deduct 1/2 inch and they will never wave at ya :thumbup: putting a little pressure on when sewing helps, pin both ends and then the exact middle...turn out perfect every time.
I have never heard of the "deduct 1/2 inch. I will try it, I usually do not have much trouble though.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:07 AM

Bonnie at Quiltville says to always measure with the fabric down the middle, never a ruler. Since I have done that my borders have been fine. I, also love the crinkly look so my fabrics are never washed and I LOVE the Shout color catchers - no problems here and I've used dark reds a lot!! I use about 5 or 6 when I first wash. I've also heard that plain muslin will do the same.
I think it is a lovely quilt and bet you will love it, wrinkles & all. But then I love crinkly wrinkles.
Judi
Old 01-30-2010, 07:48 AM

I agree, re-do it. This is a BEAUTY. I think iwill make one with reproduction fabric.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:53 AM

Your quilt is just beautiful. It is so bright and cheerful. I think when it is finished it will be just fine.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:55 AM

After reading most of the replies, I guess I will be the odd woman out! I would NOT redo the border. I do not think people look that closely at the border but rather focus on the entire quilt, which by the way is beautiful. I go by the philosophy that : If a man on a galloping horse can't see it, then leave it alone. Now that is a slight exaggeration but one that might help put into proper perspective. By the way, did you know that all Amish quilts deliberately have a mistake in them? At least the story I was told is that they believe that noone can make anything perfect in this life; perfection is only possible by God. Therefore, in all and every Amish quilts, there is always something misplaced; mismatched; miscolored thread, etc. I don't know if this is true but my daughter in law has a very old one that was her grandmothers and hit took us months but we finally found the error. Very hard to detect but I like the philosophy and the story. Good luck, Diane
Old 01-30-2010, 08:10 AM

It sounds like you've decided to leave as is. It sure is a pretty quilt!

I have a thought in relation to undoing when you have prairie points. You could probably fold the fabric back and stitch just the prairie points within the seam allowance. That way, you'd have a strip of them left, rather than individuals pieces, when you remove the borders.

I'd love to see how it all works out. If you can, please post a picture when done. :)
Old 01-30-2010, 08:10 AM

Rachel, don't get mad at it get glad, I have one the same way and I'm taking the ladies advice and going to redo it. If you don't you will always regret it. You have put too much work in it to let it go. If it's worth doing it's worth doing right. It is such a beatuiful quilt. My ripper is my best friend. Evrything I do has to be ripped at some time or other. Lets know what you have decided. Good Luck. Cookie
Old 01-30-2010, 08:18 AM

Your quilt is beautiful with or without wavy borders! I'm sure everyone here has had those pieces which we just wanted to finish at any cost. Since the quilt is for you only, I agree with your decision to just let it go. If it were going to be a gift I'm sure you'd feel differently and tear it apart.
I've learned something new here today as well---the 1/2 inch deduction on the measurement is something I had never heard. And I love the "saggy bottom" theory!
Quilt away and post another pic when you're finished..
Old 01-30-2010, 08:27 AM

I never measure my borders exact. I have the width and a straight edge to start, but always sew and then square each border, have never had a problem. I think your borders may quilt out. No matter it is a beautiful quilt.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:17 AM

I LOVE your quilt - it's beautiful. No advice regarding "to rip or not to rip", but please post pics when it's done.