Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wavy border, to redo or not? >

Wavy border, to redo or not?

Wavy border, to redo or not?

Old 01-30-2010, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Mamagus
My Mom always told me to put the bigger piece on the bottom. She called it "the saggy bottom" method.
I tell my students to put the bigger on the bottom. This what I say to help them remember. "Our bottom is bigger (usually) so bigger on the bottom"
Old 01-30-2010, 09:43 AM

Your quilt is lovely, I really like it a lot. That saying, I have to go with the few who have said leave it and use it as a learning experience. First, I don't think the borders are that wavy. Secondly, I think the hand quilting will take care of the problem.
And lastly, your vintage-looking depression-era fabrics just beg for cotton batting and the old, wrinkly, puckered up look.
JMHO
Penny
Old 01-30-2010, 11:21 AM

I always use the walking foot to sew the borders on, and then both top and boarder feed through at the same rate. Maybe with the walking foot you don't need to remove the extra 1/2 inch.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:28 AM

I just wanted to say that I have never done a quilt with prarie points on the border but my galfriend did and she had issues with the points wanting to slip and move.

I am just wondering if in fact the prarie points and attachment are not the real issue. The points and border are a LOT of fabric to sew through and I thought perhaps the problem MAY have started there. By the way, you have done a TERRIFIC job, anyone would love to have a quilt so lovely. If I am off base....sorry. If it can be distorted I have done it.............just a thought.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:02 PM

Second thoughts - what about the thread tension as it was
going trhough all those layers of fabric?

How do your stitches look, are they smaller than you think
they should be?

The next question is fabric quality?

After that the bobbin tension or tensioner setting.

Stitch length:
I usually sew at 2.0, most people sew at 2.5 or above
with some fabrics my 2.0 stitch length can cause rippling
or waving. I spray starch the pieces which usually eliminates this issue (sometimes).

I just don't think the length of your border would cause
rippling or waving as I always cut my borders long in case of a boo-boo as I would rather cut ends that have to recut new borders as I usually don't have the material.

Hope this helps.....
Old 01-30-2010, 12:09 PM
Power Poster

You can try starching them to make them lay flat, but if it was me I would redo them.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
*sigh* I've thought and thought all morning about this and I think I've decided to just leave the darn things and get this quilt finished. Honestly I'm tired of looking at this quilt. It wasn't destined for anyone's house but my own so I'm calling it a lesson learned and going on with life. The 2" borders really should be replaced as well but I just don't have it in me to tear it all back down to that point. I had hoped it would turn out nice but such is life. You win some, you lose some. :) My next one will be better, and the one after that will be even better, and so on. (Can anyone tell I'm really just trying to make this okay in my mind? :P)
That's that what you should do! It doesn't look that wavy to me either... if two people pull it out I bet it'll be fine. If you're quilting it, pull it out taunt. If it's not for sale--it's all your choice!! The next quilt is calling.

:D
Old 01-30-2010, 12:22 PM

Since I am not a very good quilter(hope to be adequate someday), I probably should stay out of this...but I am not lol. I think if you frustrate yourself taking it apart to redo, it may become a UFO. I say that finished is better than perfect. I think it is beautiful, I could live with it! I would definitely try the pressing and then move on and finish and enjoy it. :) You are correct, you learned from a mistake and the next one will be even better.

Margie
Old 01-30-2010, 12:43 PM

Every quilt is a lesson learned, and with proper quilting it should lay flat, one option might be to add another layer of batting before you close the edges, so that the extra fabric is taken up by the bulk, if that is a look you can live with, it is such a pretty quilt, you should be proud of yourself for your work!
Old 01-30-2010, 01:57 PM

"My ripper is my best friend. Everything I do has to be ripped at some time or other."

Is that where "As ye sew, so shall ye rip" comes from? tee hee
(Hey, I resemble that remark!)