Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
We don't prewash, do we? >

We don't prewash, do we?

We don't prewash, do we?

Old 07-30-2017, 02:34 PM

I wash everything when it comes in the house and the fabric is put through with warm water, color catchers (and the catchers always come out some other colors than the white they went in with), and the fabric goes in the dryer at medium heat with the wonderful soft balls that keeps the fabric from getting to wrinkly and I take them out of the dryer after 15 minutes and then I smooth the fabric and hang it up till tomorrow to dry. I have found almost, every fabric shrinks and I want to start a quilt with the hope that it stays the size it came out of the dryer. I also do this for the backing (same as the top fabric) however, I put the batting in the dryer after spritzing the batting with water lightly and 6 wet wash clothes. I run 10 minutes, open and move everything around, 10 more minutes, same shake it all up, and then finally 10 more minutes. Then hang it over the clothes line or over the shower rod in the bathroom. I have had some wonderful colorful fabric that didn't run at all but have had some that ran very red or very black or very blue, or very green in the water in the washer. Hope this helps someone.
Old 07-30-2017, 03:51 PM

Not being a gambler, I pre-wash almost everything.

Experience has taught me not to listen to quilt shop employees when they tell me that I won't have any problems with their "high quality name brand" fabrics.
Old 07-30-2017, 04:17 PM
Power Poster

I always prewash all my fabrics. I always wash in cold water, dry on regular heat. I dry large yardage of fabric by itself, fold over a ruler, smoothing as I go. I seldom do any pressing until I have pieces to press. I never starch anything. I would never wash batting. I mostly use hi loft poly batting. When quilts are finished I wash and dry again. I have made about 300 quilts. No problems.
Old 07-30-2017, 04:21 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I do pre-wash. There are too many potential problems if I don't. Uneven shrinkage, dyes that bleed unexpectedly, chemicals in the fabrics from manufacturing... I still get puckery quilts if the batting shrinks, and anyway having a quilt pucker is not a priority with me. You'll find that pre-washing is a hot topic of conversation, with many on both sides of the issue.
True dat, Dunster! A hot topic...

I'm one who doesn't mind the pressing of washed fabric, as I love handling my new fabrics! But a lot of the time you can just fold and 'hand smooth' it and then ruler fold it, and store it. By the time you use it, it is often smooth. If not, you can press it then.

Swapping: A swap I'm in requires only prewashed fabric. I thought that was going to be great until I got some that was washed with a heavily perfumed laundry detergent... so much so that it made me feel sick to work on it. Especially putting a hot iron to it!
Old 07-30-2017, 04:41 PM

I do both. Most of my projects aren't pre washed but when I do hand appliqué or very small piecing I pre wash to keep shrinking at a minimum. When working with small pieces, shrinkage can be noticeable.
Old 07-30-2017, 05:04 PM

I have always pre-washed but am making a table runner with some metallic looking prints from Craftsy. They are so beautiful! I did not pre-wash them as this is a piece that won't be washed often. I too like to "play" with my new stuff. Most things I fold and then iron when I get ready to cut them. Macybaby, can I come "play" at your house?
Old 07-30-2017, 05:31 PM

I prewash and dry all my fabric for quilts twice. Also helps me to find out if I have any colors that may run.I do not wash and dry my batting and I get that lightly puckered look when the quilt is done and laundered a final time. I too like that look.
Old 07-30-2017, 05:52 PM

Nope, don't pre-wash and have never had a problem with bleeding or the like.
Old 07-30-2017, 05:54 PM

I never prewash anymore because of all the raveled fabric. It's a waste. I have never had fabric to bleed into the other colors. Been lucky I guess.
Old 07-31-2017, 04:09 AM

The only brand of fabric I don' t prewash is Quilting Treasures. When they process their fabric, they give it a hot water bath at the end...which would take care of shrinkage and any dye problem. Everything else gets washed.