Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
We don't prewash, do we? >

We don't prewash, do we?

We don't prewash, do we?

Old 07-30-2017, 12:51 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
Most fabric can be folded straight from the dryer. When using it is when I press.

The chemical thing in my house is the clencher for me. There's many polutants I can't do anything about.

Also, some fabrics are stretched so much, washing relaxes them. Often 1 1/2 - 2" is lost in straightening. I'd rather that happen before cutting.
these are the reasons that i prewash, also
Old 07-30-2017, 12:54 PM
Power Poster

I always wash everything washable before cutting it. Including the battings - if they are washable.

This includes trims like bias tape and rick rack. I would probably wash cotton thread if I could figure out how to do it.

My quilts still get "some" crinkle in them after they are washed.

I would no more knowingly use unwashed fabric than I would not use my seat-belt while traveling.

There are many that are adamant that there is absolutely no need to wash anything before cutting it.

I agree that it is a "bother" to wash, dry, and fold that yardage. I also think it is a bigger bother to deal with something that shrinks a lot or bleeds after it has been sewn into an item.

I"m not smart enough to tell by just looking what fabric will do what.

Last edited by bearisgray; 07-30-2017 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-30-2017, 12:58 PM

I prewash all yardage for all the above reasons but also because I want to know before I invest the time and energy that goes into the quilt making, what kind of hand/feel it has. Once in a long while, I change the plan because its too stiff or too limp or too printed off grain, etc.
Old 07-30-2017, 01:06 PM

Type of batting & density + curviness of quilting lines generally makes a bigger difference in crinkling than whether or not you pre-wash. I pre-wash everything due to being severely allergic to sizing (which is in most commercially produced fabric). With cotton batting, quilting lines that are typically around 3/4" apart and lots of curvy designs, I get plenty of crinkling.

I do not press fabric straight out of the dryer. I iron the larger pieces & press them once they're cut. And I starch heavily -- much more heavily than when doing home dec pieces or garment construction. On the rare occasion that I do not pre-wash my fabrics (e.g., when starting a project in a class at the quilt shop where I receive my new kit the day of class), I still press & starch that fabric and have not noticed that it crinkles much more than the one I've pre-washed. I only wash my quilts in cold water & dry on low heat because that improves the longevity of cotton fibers, so I can't say whether I might get a different result if I were to wash/dry on higher settings.
Old 07-30-2017, 01:17 PM

I prewash.
Old 07-30-2017, 01:26 PM

I don't prewash. I know that many quilters do, but I guess I am too lazy. I haven't had any real problems by not prewashing. A color catcher takes care of fabrics that might run. I am not fond of the crinkled look, but I can iron a quilt to get rid of it if I want...as long as I use cotton batting, that is.....

Dina
Old 07-30-2017, 01:33 PM

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. It all depends on the fabrics and how I'm going to use them. I have a dryer with a wire rack that I can use to dry things so they don't tumble. I've even prewashed (or more like presoaked) fat quarters ad put them on the rack to dry.

I come from a garment construction background and this is all new ground to me, too. I do a lot wearable art and those fabrics don't need to be prewashed as they will never be washed. Other things are a bit case by case.
Old 07-30-2017, 01:46 PM
Power Poster

Chem, I generally don't pre-wash unless it looks like it may bleed. I haven't had any problems. I used to but now I seem to just use it pre-washed
Every time I see your cat I crack up!
Old 07-30-2017, 02:22 PM
Power Poster

When I started quilting (1992), I knew nothing. I do not pre-wash now because I didn't then.
Old 07-30-2017, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I prewash almost all my quilting fabric, and almost never have to iron anything. I always dry with a clean (dry) large cotton towel. I find that is does make a difference.

Everything you see here has been prewashed - with little to no pressing before folding.

I personally can't stand the feel of unwashed fabric.
Woah.....look at all that fabric...so neat too! Beautiful sight!
I only pre-wash flannel.