Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
We put ourselves down >

We put ourselves down

We put ourselves down

Old 01-26-2018, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by PB from MN View Post
I am going to give a different perspective here. I judge 4-H in many different categories and I see primarily girls pointing out mistakes all of the time. Many times it is the first thing they say to me and it is a self esteem issue. We learn to point out our mistakes because we do not have confidence in ourselves, we tell ourselves we are not good enough and then it becomes an ingrained habit. In the critique it is something I talk about to the 4-Her. I point out what they are doing and encourage them to not point out the mistakes unless the judge asks them about something. I also tell them that I believe in them and their project and I want them to believe in themselves and their project too. Be proud of what you are doing and every moment is a learning opportunity. I can also say from experience the projects that went horribly wrong are the ones where the greatest learning has taken place.

I too, have to work very hard at not pointing out my mistakes, whether it is quilting or other things and it is a tough habit to break.
Thanks so much for this! This is exactly what I was getting at when I started this thread.
Old 01-26-2018, 05:11 AM

Since I only quilt to please myself, if a mistake bothers me I fix it when I see them. If the quilt it done, the mistake stays and I am okay with it being there. After all, I am not perfect, why should my quilts be. In the big scheme of life, it's a small thing and I let it go. Most of the time I do not point mistakes out to anyone.
Old 01-26-2018, 05:37 AM

Cudos to all who post the beautiful projects they have accomplished. Been quilting 11+ years and still have a lot to learn. It is inspiring to see all the wonderful creations members show. No one is perfect and our quilts are artistic creations. Thank you to everyone who show their work with pride. Congratulations!
Old 01-26-2018, 12:15 PM

7how true.. have to be more self aware..
Old 02-10-2018, 03:04 PM
Power Poster

I've never had to "deliberately" incorporate a "mistake" into anything I've made.
Old 02-10-2018, 04:50 PM

I believe we post photos of our work because we are proud of it and happy to have accomplished it. I, also, believe that we may say things that might appear to some as negative in order to help others who may be trying to accomplish a similar project. It is always good for me to know any downfalls before I begin. I appreciate all of the photos and important information that is available to us on this amazing site.