Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
We are quilting!! >

We are quilting!!

We are quilting!!

Old 07-10-2015, 04:33 PM

Default We are quilting!!

It's been 3 weeks since we started quilting on our LA. Man, when y'all said to practice, practice, practice, you weren't kidding. We've been learning the robotics as that's what my DH is most interested in, me too. Anyway, we are coming along, got several practice quilts done and will probably donate them to charity, if they'll take them. I've also taken this opportunity to better my skills at binding quilts too. All and all, we are really enjoying ourselves. Will post pics when we finally quilt something that doesn't have an oppsie in it.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-10-2015 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:32 AM
Power Poster

If I waited until I had a quilt without an oppsie in it, I would have never posted anything!!!!
Old 07-11-2015, 06:48 AM

No, don't wait for perfection. Post now please. And of course your charity will take them and be happy to have them. No one will even know they were practice for you (only you will know that). We are all excited for you. And don't forget we were all new at quilting once too. We're friends here. We will celebrate your accomplishments with you!
Old 07-11-2015, 06:51 AM

I agree with all of the above..........please post what you have done
Old 07-11-2015, 07:01 AM

Ahhh, you are now friends with your LA!!! Nice. I don't have one, but my sister does. It took a long time before she considered it to be a friend.

Dina
Old 07-11-2015, 07:55 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
If I waited until I had a quilt without an oppsie in it, I would have never posted anything!!!!
I agree. But it is great that you both can share with the fun of your new toy.
Old 07-11-2015, 09:16 AM

I am so glad the two of you are having fun. Please post your first quilts too, it is fun to see how far you come. I posted my very first quilt and was very proud of it and I am still proud of it and each quilt you learn more.
Old 07-11-2015, 09:36 AM

All quilts have oopsies in them. Seriously. Watch some videos of the winners at the American Quilter's Society. Every one of them fesses up to some little bobble in their work -- some of them share what it is & others slyly remark that they are probably the only one who will ever find it (and they are!). Beyond that, I like it when there is some little quirk; it shows me that the quilt was lovingly made by a real person rather than by some cold machine on an assembly line in China.

The quilt I have as my avatar has puckers because the seams aren't exactly straight & my quilting left something to be desired. But I had fun making it & was brought to give it to my sister for the birth of her son. She loves it. Both her kids play with it all the time & love it. And I learned a LOT in the process. If you click on my name you will see another quilt I made. It was the first quilt where I used Free Motion Quilting. I picked out the worst of the quilting & re-did it, but there are plenty of uneven quilting lines & uneven stitches. That's also the quilt where I fused the applique to the wrong side of the fabric & didn't realize it until I completely finished the block. I didn't have the time, patience or fabric to re-do the block, so I made 2 more on like it, on the reverse side of the fabric. Plus, the fabric was low quality & was tearing with all the handling so i had to change the seams to 3/8" instead of 1/4" for the whole quilt. Is it perfect? Not even close! But my niece loves it just the same. I have pictures of her in our family photo album with the biggest grin I've ever seen with her head thrown back & her arms out as wide as possible. It is a very, very happy memory.

As long as your quilts are 100% cotton and are quilted with no more than 6" between your quilting lines (depending on your batting), I can't imagine there is a charity out there that wouldn't gratefully accept your quilts. Please do post them here so we can all admire them.
Old 07-12-2015, 04:14 AM

I got my Avante for Christmas 2 years ago. I named him Bob. He is computerized, and simply wonderful. I still find an occasional oopsie, but I find it isn't Bob's fault, but the person pushing the buttons. Although, I did find when I made the last payment a couple months ago, he got a little smart alecky and tried to test my patience. There are so many new things to learn, and every quilt teaches me something new. I quilted 50 quilts last year, am only at 20 this year, because my health got in the way. Keep up the good work and enjoy the quilting.
Old 07-12-2015, 05:59 PM

I go by the Amish saying (I'll paraphrase) that "it's a sin to create perfection--only God can create perfection!"