Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wedding Dress Quilt Questions >

Wedding Dress Quilt Questions

Wedding Dress Quilt Questions

Old 02-16-2016, 10:06 AM

My DIL asked me to make a quilt from her wedding dress for their young daughter. She had already cut it up, so I didn't have to deal with that. It wasn't a very ornate gown, so not lots of lace, trim, etc. Here is a link to my post about it.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t261491.html
Old 02-16-2016, 12:32 PM

Do you have an embroidery machine? there are some really beautiful crazy patch quilt blocks made in the hoop they have lovely stitching on them. Maybe if you knew her wedding colors you could into the quilt in embroidery. I have a good imagination and it is beautiful as a crazy patch already in my head. I make mine 8x8 blocks good Luck it sounds like a fun project
Old 02-16-2016, 12:52 PM

[QUOTE=PS Stitcher;7467312]Thanks for all the great feedback, picture and questions!

Just to put everyone at ease () my BF is not a very sentimental person and she was going to sell her wedding dress. Her husband is the more sentimental one and he didn't want her to. So that's when he decided to ask me to make it into a quilt.[/QUOTE

Thanks for following up on this PS Stitcher... My husband is indeed more sentimental about most things than I am so it is easy for me to relate your BF's situation.

Interesting for me to follow this thread and read everyone's responses it's making me think twice about my sentimentality towards my dress and how I could possibly, re-purpose it to enjoy now, and not have it just stored away for our kids and or husband to determine what to do with it after I'm gone.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:07 PM

Smile

My sister-in-law wore my mother's dress when she & my brother married. It did not fit my niece for her wedding last Oct. Rather than store it again a cousin made 3 flower girl dresses for my great nieces to wear in the wedding. worked out great that the great granddaughters were wearing mother's dress. [ATTACH=CONFIG]542872[/ATTACH]. I brought home the leftovers to do something with someday.
Attached Thumbnails 006.jpg  
Old 02-16-2016, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by suern3 View Post
Just a little question, you said her husband gave it to you and asked for a quilt. Are you sure she goes along with this idea?
My thoughts exactly!!
Old 02-16-2016, 07:58 PM

My Mom made a quilt from the scraps of my wedding dress and the scraps of my brides maid's dresses. The top is in storage but if I can locate the right box I'll try to share. We made all the dresses.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:04 PM

I had two baptismal gowns for my grand babies made out of my wedding dress, one for each of my daughters' families. After 30 years, I thought it was a better use of my dress than keeping it in the box.
Attached Thumbnails img_6357.jpg   img_6423crop.jpg  
Old 02-20-2016, 03:36 PM

My mother made a baby quilt out of my wedding dress for our 1st baby. She made it as a whole cloth quilt and the hand quilting that she and her friends did was fantastic. I wish I had a picture to share but our daughter has the quilt. It really was too slippery to use for a baby but it was a beautiful addition to the nursery.
Beautiful Baptismal gown KathDavis