Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wedding Dress Quilt Questions >

Wedding Dress Quilt Questions

Wedding Dress Quilt Questions

Old 02-14-2016, 08:08 AM

Default Wedding Dress Quilt Questions

Has anyone ever made a quilt from a wedding dress that they would like to share the pictures of? My BF's husband gave me her wedding dress and asked me to make a quilt out of it. But I am a bit stuck. I could use some inspiration.

Thanks in advance!!
Old 02-14-2016, 08:17 AM
Power Poster

No, I have never heard of anyone making a quilt out of a wedding dress. Looks like there are some examples on Pinterest:
https://www.google.com/search?q=quil...utf-8&oe=utf-8
Old 02-14-2016, 09:12 AM

Seems like you could follow the "Men's ties" directions and use Wedding fabric in a quilt. Since many tie are silk and slippery. It would make a beautiful neutrals quilt. I would think a wall hanging would be better than a throw or bedsize. Just my thoughts. I love it when new ideas come up, now where is my old dress?
Old 02-14-2016, 09:28 AM
Power Poster

Several years ago there was a beautiful collection of quilts made from wedding dresses at the Sisters Outdoor Quilt Show. The dresses were all displayed indoors, in the clock shop. Later I saw a sad collection of wedding dress quilts for sale at a large quilt show. Those were going for almost nothing. I think there are many ways to approach this, depending somewhat on the style of the dress you have to work with.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:40 AM

I made it from my oldest sister's wedding dress for her. It was basically a whole cloth with the train appliqued and then other appliques made from other parts of her dress. I did (after this picture and advice from a mentor) go ahead and tack down the middle of the train.

This is definitely a heirloom quilt and isn't very usable because it so heavy and I used wool batting, so it is not washable. But it did turn out beautifully and she loved it. I made her cut up her dress and send it to me in pieces.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-14-2016 at 09:59 AM. Reason: remove link to own/affiliated site
Old 02-14-2016, 10:03 AM

I googled "quilt from wedding dress" and many links came up. Perhaps you could find help there, also!
Old 02-14-2016, 10:10 AM

I've never heard of anyone making a quilt out of a wedding dress, but my daughter had a baptismal gown made out of hers. It's beautiful.
Old 02-14-2016, 10:54 AM

I agree with Luvspaper regarding using the lace as appliqués. I cut as many squares as possible from unadorned parts of the gown, then embellish these squares with appliqué and beading from the gown. The bodice or parts of the skirt may also provide suitable areas to be cut into squares to be used as cut. Be sure to reinforce any areas near the cuts which need be secured. These are generally for wallhangings or display as they are seldom suitable for laundering. I use a polyester batt and back the quilt with additional satin or the lining pieced to size. Quilt in the ditch or tack and add ribbon bows over the tacks. Quilts, Christening gowns, First Communion dresses, Christmas tree skirts, purses, and teddy bears are all projects I have done for customers. Families are always so delighted to see their heirloom gowns given a new life!
Old 02-14-2016, 03:31 PM

Just a little question, you said her husband gave it to you and asked for a quilt. Are you sure she goes along with this idea?
Old 02-14-2016, 04:50 PM
Gay

I love the idea of making blocks of crazy patchwork, you can overlay some pieces with organza and lace, if it's a satin dress some pieces can be reversed (the back of the fabric gives a different look). Beaded lace can be appliqued on after the block is made. Whatever you decide on make sure to show us some photos when this is done, won't you.