Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wedding guest book non-book ideas >

Wedding guest book non-book ideas

Wedding guest book non-book ideas

Old 11-13-2010, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky
Getting married in 11 months - yay! I had a Bat Mitzvah when I was 13 and I wanted to get a picture of me and have everyone sign around it, like my mom had at her wedding. Long story short, the Bat Mitzvah planner wouldn't let me and made me get a guest book. And about 5 people signed it and I don't even know if we still have it.

So, wedding, I don't want to do a guest book. I get the idea, but for me, I know I'd never look at it again. I want to do something quilt-y instead.

My initial non-quilt idea was the picture like my mom did. But it didn't feel like me, I guess. Whereas something with fabric, that's a very me thing to do.

My first idea was to have everyone do a square (where they'd write a message, not just names... that's boring!). Then I'd have my photographers make sure to get pictures of everyone, and I'd print the pictures on the fabric. I'd then take the picture and sew it to that person's square, and alternate them into a quilt, so it's a checkerboard of pictures/signature squares.

My concern with that is that I'd need a really big quilt. Or if I limited it to just certain people, then I'd have a bunch of squares left and I'd make a 2nd quilt. So my next thought was to use a bunch of bright fabrics (I like bright) and give one square to everyone to write on. Then make a quilt that way.

Then someone suggested doing signature blocks but using it on the back of a quilt, since she's not a big fan of signature blocks or writing on quilts.

I figured I'd ask the experts for suggestions. Thanks! :)

I liked your idea of having signature block and then implosing their pictures to the blocks. What if you made the blocks small enough so that 4 small squares could be sewn together to make 1 block. That way you could put 4 guests blocks into 1 large block. I don't know how many guests you're expecting at your wedding but if that suggestion is still too many blocks for a quilt what if you took the 4 person/block sqaure and placed them into large 3 ringed photo album pages with vinyl sleeves, to keep them clean. You may have a few albums full of blocks but you could them have your remberences in fabric blocks to treasure.

Just my two cents worth...
Andie :D :D :D
Old 11-13-2010, 09:58 PM

If you have an idea of what color you might want, or if you plan to use your colors for your wedding for the quilt also, you could go ahead and make up the blocks the way you want them, and get all to sign them. Something else, make yourself a signature quilt with possibly all of the backing blank, and allow everyone to sign it. Save a large space in the center and take one or more group pictures of everyone there, instead of individual photos, and use those on the fabric printer pages to put in the center of the quilt. The other side could be made however you want it, or this side could be the front. Just be sure that the fabric you use is on a very stable hard surface for writing on.Neat idea you have. By the way Congrats on the upcoming event, keep us posted. Dungeonquilter, I really like your quilt, very unique.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:33 PM

Sorry so many ideas. Someone may have stated this already. I would do just a bunch of like 6 inch squares and use the freezer paper like suggested and try to keep a seam line. As fun as it would be to get a pic of everyone more than likely that isn't going to happen unless you have someone, that is not the real photographer snap a picture of everyone as they walk in or something. If you do a 6 inch square, I wouldn't go much smaller than you can have everyone write their wishes on it for you. My cousin did something kind of like this on his wedding. Everyone was given a piece of fancy paper at the wedding and asked to write the bride and groom a small letter and to include wishes and advice and whatever they felt important to the new married couple. You could have all these on the different colored squares and then just do a simple patch quilt from everyone's squares. If you have a lot of people attend you could have two tops instead of a backing. That way everyone could write something, kids included as they always want to be. Then I would pick a color that you haven't used. Like White. And make 2 squares quadruple the size of the other ones and put them in the center. Those 2 would be for the 2 of you to write something special to one another. Anyways there is another idea to add on to the millions of other great ones.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:53 AM

When our cousin's youngest daughter was married she had a square of silk that everyone was to sign. It was probably the size of a silk scarf. I have not seen this done sence..
Old 11-14-2010, 10:53 AM

When our cousin's youngest daughter was married she had a square of silk that everyone was to sign. It was probably the size of a silk scarf. I have not seen this done sence..
Old 11-14-2010, 11:01 AM

Here is a quilt I made for a customer. At the wedding, the guest were asked to write something on fabric squares. The problem was the "squares" were not squares at all. They were all sizes. First problem: How to square up and get all blocks the same size. Solved problem by adding a strip of a different color (white) to all the blocks. Worked out great. My customer was mother of bride and she was delited with the results. Note: This was not a bed quilt. It will hang on a wall in new home of the couple.
Nancy in Mississippi

Wedding Couple
[ATTACH=CONFIG]126213[/ATTACH]

Quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]126214[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-126208.jpe   attachment-126209.jpe  
Old 11-14-2010, 02:19 PM

I was asked to make a quilt for an occasion that involved a lot of children. From experience, I realized that non-sewers/quilters, do not 'get' the idea of a seam allowance. Soooo...
I cut the squares of plain fabric and added a 1.5 inch border around each. I chose border colors to fit the occasion and several different prints in each color. As the borders/sashing, were already on, so no one could go outside into the seam allowance. People picked the color they wished to write on. The cardboard is a good idea, but we had a table and several chairs, plus a box of fabric markers.
After they were signed and 'messaged', I laid them out according to color and sewed them together -- voila, quilt done !
Old 11-14-2010, 02:55 PM

I would just make a couple of quilts to hang up or lay down at the "sign in table" and then get fabric pens for them to write some where on the quilts. I would also suggest doing lap or wall size quilts. I would also use white on the back and a good amount of it on the front you could also have a person there suggesting that if people want to leave a message that they write on the back or just sign the front. I had one at my wedding and my family talked me out of having people write on the back of it. so have a signing book that is in a box somewhere. good luck
Old 11-14-2010, 03:05 PM

Great idea. for our 50th anniversary the children did it. My most priceless signature was our 6 year old grandson who wrote Happy Anniversary and his name---Backward.
Priceless memories.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:29 PM

This isn't an idea for blocks, but my daughter got married last month and they did a thumbprint tree instead of a guest book. They had different colors for people to put their thumbprint on the tree that was put on a large piece of poster of poster board and then people signed on their thumbprints. It was something she found on the internet.
Also, my niece got married in August and they had a cookbook on the table for people to sign so she would be reminded of the people that came to her wedding while she is cooking or looking for a recipe.
Just a couple of ideas. Good luck!