Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Wedding Guest Quilt >
  • Wedding Guest Quilt

• Wedding Guest Quilt

Old 04-10-2013, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by CraftyRae
    Oooo, I just had a really cool thought! My flowers are going to be a sunflowers. If I could find a sunflower pattern and do solids for the stripes (Royal Blue, Sunflower Yellow, Ivory) so people can sign on those, that would be really neat looking.
    OR I could do the striped sections as blue/ivory/blue because the sunflower blocks would add enough yellow.
    Old 04-11-2013, 12:09 AM

Whatever you have the guests sign you will need to be supervised by more than just one person.

Hints:
    - Assign this task to people who have at least tried it and are aware of how to help others.
    - Have lots of extra material because no matter how you explain it some folk mess up their signatures and will want a do-over.
    - Have plenty of reverse templates and clipboards to hold the templates and material.
    - Have several of whatever type pen you choose. many guest will actually try to use their own pens and that can cause a big schmear on your quilt top.
    - Have a container for the unsigned material and another for the signed material.
    - You might want someone to coordinate the guest list with the signatures obtained.
    - If someone you love cannot attend you might want to mail them the needed items so you can have that signature ... ie: great grandma is still living but can't attend. Sorta of material skype but not really.

Reverse templates [my term] are something like file folders cut to size with a frame cut out so that the signature will be within the open area. If the reverse template file folders are the same size as the material there is no hassle centering the fabric correctly. Then the guests just have to sign in that open area.

Happy Day to you.
    Old 04-11-2013, 02:31 AM

Congrats on your upcoming wedding how fantastic!!

A signature quilt will be a wonderful way for you to read what everyone thought. Your colors sound great and the ivory will work well for the actual blocks your friends sign.

Am I understanding that you want quilt made "before" wedding so friends can sign actual quilt? If that is case then I would suggest against that. Main reason why is people/person as AliKat pointed out will mess up what they want to say at least once and then you quilt will not be what you envision. Just picking out a patten and cutting which squares that will be the ivory for signing will take you some time. You don't want to put too much on your plate with when you are entering the 90 day count down zone. Also kids tend to run loose while people are findind their proper seats I have seen flowers get knocked down and ruined would hate to see your wedding quilt end up on floor.

AliKat has great suggestions for the signing station--I would use those as a guide. Do you have a wedding planner he/she might want to know of this plan as well. I love wedding and everything about them I can't wait to see your quilt--it really is a great memory maker. Enjoy your wedding planning :-)
    Old 04-11-2013, 02:34 AM

I'm heading up wedding signature quilts this month!

Doing most of the things ALIKAT mentioned. Instruction board, more than I need over sized fabric squares on freezer paper, file folder frames, prepped sample fabric for them to practice on, and necessary boxes to place the squares in.

I will be making the blocks and quilts after the wedding.

I totally agree that you should enlist the help of other people to help with the process before and especially at the wedding. You're the bride! You'll have plenty to do and people to visit with instead of watching over the quilt signing.

I'd love to hear from anyone else who's made these quilts.

HOW DID YOU PREP THE FABRIC?
    WHAT PENS DID YOU USE SUCCESSFULLY?
    WHAT STEPS DID YOU TAKE WITH THE FABRIC AFTER THE FABRIC WAS SIGNED?
    HOW LONG DO THE SIGNATURES LAST?

Thanks - Nan - Indiana
    Old 04-11-2013, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by quiltinghere

HOW DID YOU PREP THE FABRIC?
    WHAT PENS DID YOU USE SUCCESSFULLY?
    WHAT STEPS DID YOU TAKE WITH THE FABRIC AFTER THE FABRIC WAS SIGNED?
    HOW LONG DO THE SIGNATURES LAST?
    All great questions! I want to know too!
    Old 04-11-2013, 04:50 AM

Freezer paper can be bought at the grocery store. It's for wrapping food for freezer storage. You'd press the waxy side to the back of the fabric. It stabilizes the fabric to make it easier to write on. Use Micron pens. They're permanent and don't wash out. Press the blocks after they're signed. Signatures last a long time.
    Old 04-11-2013, 05:13 AM

That's a really good idea. It also saves you the aggravation if someone decides to get "cute" and write something objectionable on your quilt. I know. I know. None of your wedding guest would do that but somehow it seems to happen sometime.
    Old 04-11-2013, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by grandjan
    That's a really good idea. It also saves you the aggravation if someone decides to get "cute" and write something objectionable on your quilt. I know. I know. None of your wedding guest would do that but somehow it seems to happen sometime.
    Really good point! I have some cousins (or even my brother) who would do stuff like that.
    Old 04-11-2013, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by gramajo
    Freezer paper can be bought at the grocery store. It's for wrapping food for freezer storage. You'd press the waxy side to the back of the fabric. It stabilizes the fabric to make it easier to write on. Use Micron pens. They're permanent and don't wash out. Press the blocks after they're signed. Signatures last a long time.

Sent private email but will ask here too

What size MICRON pens did you use?
    05 which is .45mm
    or
    08 which is .50mm

Nan - IN
    Old 04-11-2013, 05:11 PM

Just PMed you, Nan