Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Wedding ring/double wedding ring quilt >
  • Wedding ring/double wedding ring quilt

• Wedding ring/double wedding ring quilt

Old 01-05-2014, 04:05 PM

I made my daughter's DWR the old fashioned way but I did use templates for cutting out the pieces. I believe the acrylic pieces were from a Delores Yoder out of Texas. I had gotten them at a quilt show in the eastern US area, maybe Lancaster or Virginia. I was working full time but I had it done in 3 months and then I had it hand quilted by a friend of mine, Amish, from Pa. I did not have any trouble at all with making it. All the pieces joined just right and the "melon" pieces went right in. I would say go for it. I watched that Kay Wood tutu on youtube and by that you could strip piece your colors and then cut the curved strip out. I would try one out of maybe white or beige and if that one turns out, use it for a pillow top. After trying one, you will know first hand if you can go forward. Good luck.
    Old 01-05-2014, 04:16 PM

The simplest way I've found is with the arc ease template and the book "rings that bind" by ? phillips. There is a video on you tube under Kaye Woods. I believe there are 3 different sizes. It goes together really quickly and is very simple.
    Old 01-05-2014, 04:20 PM

Also look at the Flynn Quilt method. You make strip sets for the rings, take tucks in the cut strips, then trim with a template, so it fits perfectly.
    http://www.flynnquilt.com/
    Old 01-05-2014, 08:14 PM

Thank you all so much. She and I have never been all that close. I was raised by my dad, she was raised by our mother. BUT, we both agree that we really need a closer relationship.

Anything and everything that will help me make this special for her is GREATLY appreciated.
    Old 01-05-2014, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
    Quilt Smart preprinted sheets and the Quilt in a Day video. It can be done easily. I did one just last year. Try out a table runner just to see what you think of the process.
    I second this. Not intimidating at all. Once you do one ring section, the rest falls into place and gets easier.
    Old 01-05-2014, 08:47 PM
    Gay

I totally agree with Ann31039. Cheryl's method is so simple, and you can also piece the rings in the old fashioned way if you prefer it. Also each block is quilted-as-you-go so no problems with sending it to a LAer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfifwcg8IJ4

Im just starting one also, but will use 14" blocks, so the 'Rings that Bind' template won't be much use to me. Hopefully I can figure it out
    Old 01-06-2014, 04:44 AM

Can't help you at all with the pattern itself but I encourage you to go for it. I'm of the belief that you should do projects that you WANT to do regardless of difficulty. You will tend to stick with it through the difficult stages if it's something that you really WANT to do.

AND you get the benefit of establishing the type of relationship that you want with your sister. What could be better?

Plenty of help here on the board for those spots you might get stuck. Go for it!
    Old 01-06-2014, 04:52 AM

That Quilt Smart method is pretty neat. I had never heard of it. Thanks for posting the link.
    Old 01-06-2014, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Rosehawk
    So my sister came to visit Friday night (yay). We never grew up together, but recognize that we're about the only family either of us really have. Our mom, and aunts/uncles are the definition of dysfunctional. Neither one of us really wants that in our lives, and her dad died a few years ago. Anyway, she came over because it had been FOREVER since we'd gotten together or hung out.

She's getting married January 2015. I mentioned that I'm now in LOVE with quilting. Since she was little she's always liked the wedding ring (double wedding ring?) pattern, and would love to be able to get a quilt like that for her wedding. I volunteered to assemble it, if she would buy the fabric.

Well, I went looking online a little bit this morning, and now I'm thinking I might have gotten myself in over my head. I'm still willing to give it a try, but could REALLY use some tips, trick, and advice on how to make this thing. Looking at a couple of patterns, A queen size (94"x94") is larger than what my MIL's longarm can comfortably quilt.

Is there a difference between "wedding ring" and "double wedding ring"?
    What extra stuff would I need to get to make this?
    Some of the patterns I was looking at have templates, do they all or is that extra?

HELP??!
    I hear quilt smart has a easy to do, user friendly pattern, myself I did Eleanor Burns quilt with lightweight fusible interfacing, the pattern is from Egg Money Quilts.
    the quilt softened up with washing, this quilt was all machined sewn.
    Old 01-06-2014, 10:55 AM

Go to the Phillips Fiber Art website. Cheryl Phillips has Rings that Bind and she also has Simple Curves pattern and template as well. I love her rulers and her videos to show how to use them. Rings that Bind book comes complete with the template that you use to make the blocks. It is also a quilt as you go pattern.You make each block and quilt it as you are contructing it. So when you are done making the blocks, you are done quilting it. When using Cheryl's method you do use a lot of fabric, but, keep in mind you are making both the top and the back at the same time.
    I wish you luck and I hope that you can achieve the closeness that desire with your sister.