Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wedding ring/double wedding ring quilt >

Wedding ring/double wedding ring quilt

Wedding ring/double wedding ring quilt

Old 01-06-2014, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by quilter2090 View Post
Go to the Phillips Fiber Art website. Cheryl Phillips has Rings that Bind and she also has Simple Curves pattern and template as well. I love her rulers and her videos to show how to use them. Rings that Bind book comes complete with the template that you use to make the blocks. It is also a quilt as you go pattern.You make each block and quilt it as you are contructing it. So when you are done making the blocks, you are done quilting it. When using Cheryl's method you do use a lot of fabric, but, keep in mind you are making both the top and the back at the same time.
I wish you luck and I hope that you can achieve the closeness that desire with your sister.
THIS is the only one I would use. Watch her videos, she has it whipped.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:27 AM

I just finished a double wedding ring top and used Eleanor Burns method (same as quiltsmart ) she has a simple video on her wedsite under Egg Money Quilts. I love her instructions, they are so simply explained. I too was told not to attempt this pattern but her method was easy peasy. Good Luck
Old 01-07-2014, 05:46 AM

The Double Wedding Ring quilt has been on my bucket list for quite some time. I just recently changed it though. Now it is the Bali Wedding Star Quilt by Judy Niemeyer. I have done Judy's patterns before and absolutely loved them. It is paper piecing but Judy provides templates that do not have to be cut precisely for use on the foundation paper, all of the foundation paper pieces that you need to make the quilt, and very detailed instructions, including pressing directions so that all your seams nest. One of my first quilts was Judy's Starburst pattern which starts with the Hunter's Star block. I was so pleased with my finished quilt. It was beautiful even if I was only a beginning quilter.
You can see all Judy's patterns at www.quiltworx.com
Old 01-07-2014, 05:49 AM

The Quilt Smart method looks nice and fairly easy, but the you fuse down the arcs and they have raw edges. Not for me. I don't like raw edges at all.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:27 AM

I may have misunderstood, but I think to make a queen sized Quilt Smart double wedding ring, you would need two separate kits. Together these would cost about $75. Is that correct?

Originally Posted by snipforfun View Post
I love Quilt Smart! Ive made 3 Lone Stars that came out perfect. Ive also made 3 other designs. Goof proof!
Old 01-07-2014, 07:17 AM

I like the templates from Marti Michell. I've also made 3 DWR using the John Flynn method. All together I've made 7 of them with the largest being 110 x 110. I quilted them on my small domestic machine. don't be intimidated by the pattern. Follow the directions with either method and it will go together just fine!!
Old 01-07-2014, 07:24 AM
Power Poster

http://www.simplicity.com/t-Simpli-E...ilt-Block.aspx

I only put this link for you to look at. it requires their ruler. What ever way you choose, make some from scraps first. perhaps use them for a pillow sham later.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I found this Youtube video on the QuiltSmart method, in case it helps:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OjKXQXF-Qs
I just watched the youtube link. It looks really easy this with this method. Just moved DWR higher on my project list
Old 01-07-2014, 06:22 PM

I agree with ragamuffin. Go to Kaye woods site & watch her tut on the double wedding ring quilt. This method you won't have to send it to a quilter or worry about binding. This really is the easiest way to do it & when you have all the blocks sewed together, the quilt is totally finished. It is awesome that you & your sister are able to become close after so long being apart.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
The Quilt Smart method looks nice and fairly easy, but the you fuse down the arcs and they have raw edges. Not for me. I don't like raw edges at all.
Actually, you sew your pieced fabric to the arc, trim it, turn it inside out, iron it to the block and applique on. There aren't any raw edges.