Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wedding Ring Quilt - Before I Get Started - Any Advice? >

Wedding Ring Quilt - Before I Get Started - Any Advice?

Wedding Ring Quilt - Before I Get Started - Any Advice?

Old 04-28-2013, 08:35 AM

http://www.craftsy.com/project/view/...ng-quilt/24464
Modern Double Wedding Ring Quilt

I just saw one like this at our last guild meeting. It was very attractive. It would be very doable.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:13 AM
Power Poster

Jenny Doan of Missouri Star Quilt Co. has a tutorial on the Wedding ring quilt. Looks easier than I've ever seen.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:00 AM
Power Poster

I did a quilt as you go from a book..The Rings that Bind" for my DD ands SIL. It was sage and navy on a beige on beige background. Made solid arcs rather than pieced. Not sure i would make another DWR though. I guess others on the board have a lot more patience than me.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:25 AM
Vat

I had a friend that tried to make a Double Wedding Ring and quit because they would not lay FLAT ! ! ! Good Luck ! ! !
Old 04-28-2013, 11:37 AM

Wonderful advice from all our quilting friends. Thank you!
I understand that it would be good to: (1) cut enough fabric just for a sample block; (2) make a small project first; (3) proceed to the DWR quilt with confidence. Good to know.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:48 PM
Swap Hosts

Thank you for all the terrific tips!
Old 04-28-2013, 02:46 PM

I love the color choice. Before using Batiks per-wash as there is a lot of excess die. I have a box full of Bali Batiks as we live 3 hours away from Bali by plane, and my daughters go there every couple of months on holidays, and shopping for me, one came back last weekend, it was like Christmas for me, batiks, selling at $2.50 per mtr, and we have been told 8mtrs weigh a kilo, so A lot of washing this week.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:58 PM

I have been planning on making several "leave behind" quilts for my DGC and had hoped to make them all DWR. I now have 3 GC and 1 on the way. I have a GO and had planned to use it, but I also like the idea of a PP quilt. However, after reading all these posts, I just might opt for log cabin quilts! Sounds like I might not live long enough to make 4 leave-behind quilts!!!
Old 04-28-2013, 03:46 PM

I have two double wedding ring quilts going right now..one is all batiks..love it! No need to starch good quality batiks tho I did prewash and set colors prior to cutting out. Normally I don't prewash at all unless it's in deep blues, reds, burgundy etc. Batiks are great, they do not have a tendency to ravel like regular cottons do. they are more stable on bias edges.
The other DWR is of a Maywood Studio cotton and I am telling you I am starching that fabric to death, so far so good, did not prewash. As soon as I get a couple of rows done I will post a picture. The fabric is floral fusion by Maywood Studio. It's a mix of yellows, black, some drk brown or kahki green. The print graduates to much light tones in two different areas of the width of fabric. I cut melons and centers from the print areas I like the most. The arcs are cut from solid yellow and a sort of ugly military deep green and the rings alternate of course. I do have a picture of a started block on my face book page if you want to take a look. I am usually so traditional with my quilt but this one is a bit edgy for me. Just search for Anne Freeman and you should find the picture.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:49 PM

Oh and did I mention.. you need determination and accuracy to do a great job on a DWR! A scant 1/4" seam is a must!! Good luck with your project.
Anne F