Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Weird offer >

Weird offer

Weird offer

Old 05-11-2010, 07:57 AM

Absolutely not! He is just trying to get your address and/or phone number to locate you, hence the "no PO Box" stipulation. If he just wants to send a check, why not a PO box? I wouldn't even respond to him.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Maride
He even offered to send an extra $50.00 if I held them for him.
stay away from this guy and donot send him info - it can lead to identity theft.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:03 AM

I posted the antique sewing machines I saw on Saturday at my friend's house for sale as a favor. I posted them on our local Craigslist. Today I get an e-mail from someone offering me the asking price ($100.00 each, which I think is way too much but posted that way to #1, attract only those really interested, and #2, give some room for reduction and at least get $50 for each) He wants me to send him my name, address and phone number, no PO box to send me the check without even looking at them because "he is away on a business trip" and when I get the $ he will send someone to pick them up. He will send a money order.
DO NOT RESPOND to this email. It's a scam. I've seen this one a hundred times. Report it as Spam if you haven't already deleted it.
Even as a type this I feel that there is something coo koo about this. I am off to delete the post and block his e-mail. This is too weird.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:08 AM

He even offered to send an extra $50.00 if I held them for him.
NO, NO, NO! Follow your own hunch. It is a scam.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:09 AM

Always, always, always trust your instincts. You don't need a reason.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:10 AM

THIS IS A TOTAL SCAM DONT EVEN REPLY TO THEM I'VE HAD THE SAME TYPE OF EMAIL REPLIES WHEN I POSTED ITEMS ON CRAIG'S LIST
Old 05-11-2010, 08:19 AM

There are 5 pages so far...I'd say the concensus is RUN FROM THIS FRAUD...
Old 05-11-2010, 08:19 AM

Most likely this is his way of getting your info so someone will be able to locate your house and rob it!!! RUN FOR THE HILLS!!! DO NOT GIVE HIM ANY INFO!!! always trust your gut in these things, if it sounds hinky it is.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:22 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Found this blog about the scams. It wouldn't necessarily apply JUST to Craigslist; it could happen anywhere that checks or money orders are accepted as payments.

http://craigslistscammer.blogspot.co...es-to-buy.html

This isn't about home invasions/robberies, this particular scam is, as someone already mentioned, about the concept of a check written for a larger amount, and you're supposed to refund the buyer the difference. (I know someone who sold a piece of jewelry on eBay, and got taken in exactly this way.)
Old 05-11-2010, 08:33 AM

DO NOT answer something like this from Craigslist. I used to use it all of the time but have stopped because of all of the scams. I even add a note to anything I put up for sale that if "You are out of the country, need me to ship this to you, or have to pay by any means other than cash, do not respond." That has helped. I don't know if you saw the news this morning about the horrible killing that was the direct result of someone listing an item on Craigslist, being robbed, killed in front of his wife and two young boys. They even pistol whipped his young son. How horrible and how does a family pick up the pieces from this. Protect yourself.