Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Well I feel like an idiot

Quote Originally Posted by ube quilting
    I always put some white vinigar in my iron with the water. it seems to make the steam steamier and wrinkles fall out of the fabric quicker.
    Ah yes, I remember my Aunt saying, years ago, that if you want to get a nice crease down the front of a pant leg, to spritz it with vinegar water. The same to get out a stubborn wrinkle.

Sorry to hear of your problem, but yes I would do the vinger
    also, hope it all comes out ok for you.

The vinegar does work. Remember, they tell you to run vinegar through a coffee pot to clean it and this is the same idea. It works

Blog Entries
    I'm with Texas Granny; vinegar is great and recommended for cleaning irons and coffee pots... Try it and let us know.

O.K. Now I have to ask, does the smell of the vinegar linger, when used on clothes ?? I know someone will know, and how did the Iron turn out?

Oops! Think I'd toss the iron and get another one. I did something similar when very, very tired! I used the can of compressed air to clean out my serger. Right? Wrong!! It was spray adhesive! Ouch!!:( Now I really pay attention to the container!

I was going to suggest vinegar too, it works for everything lol. But if that doesn't work do to the store and get some iron cleaner, they have that. Clean according to directions, then I would fill and dump a few times anyway. I am a over achiever. Hope the vinegar works good luck. Oh by the way, I happen to be the master of all goof ups so don't worry about it.

Rita

try vinegar & water; more vinegar than water; leave the iron on for a while, at least 1 hour, occassionally turning it to allow it to steam. Then dump what is left, rinse and dump, rinse & dump, then try just water & steam. :wink:

Blog Entries
    There are products on the market for cleaning the insides of irons to get the white buildup of lime out of them. I don't know the names but perhaps your local hardware store - like a True Value - could help you.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterflyblue
    Today I poured about a 1/4 cup of water in my iron and went along my merry way. A few minutes later I noticed a funny smell, but I thought it was some starch that had oversprayed on the ironing board. Later it was worse and I suddenly realized that what I thought was water was flat Sprite.

I rinsed the iron out as well as I could just by pouring water in and dumping it out again, but is there any way to get the inside of the iron clean?

Blog Entries
    Today I poured about a 1/4 cup of water in my iron and went along my merry way. A few minutes later I noticed a funny smell, but I thought it was some starch that had oversprayed on the ironing board. Later it was worse and I suddenly realized that what I thought was water was flat Sprite.

I rinsed the iron out as well as I could just by pouring water in and dumping it out again, but is there any way to get the inside of the iron clean?
    Not trying to be ugly. But I just had to laugh. LOL

Blog Entries
    White vinegar solution always gets me out of my mistakes.

Through the years I have spent oodles of $$$ on "special" irons only to be disappointed in performance or length of service. I only use a dry iron and a little spritz of water if necessary, never steam when quilting. My latest iron cost $10 at Walmart so when I get mad at it, it will just go in the trash. It's already lasted longer than the last $80 iron.

Have you tried adding a little vinegar to the water you're putting in the iron? It will clean out the sugar and any other stuff built up inside. You just gotta keep steaming on fabric until nothing shows up any longer. I use a real old towel and then I toss the towel in the laundry... most of the time the stuff on the towel washes out.... especially if I use Oxyclean.

I did the same thing once only it was 7 UP not Sprite. It really gives you a stupid feeling. :)

try white vinegar it helps cleaning the iorn

add water, let it sit, and drain it out, do the process several times and then it should be free. by doing this and letting it sit, it will help dissolve what is left. Should be fine after that.

try putting vinegar in it and do a steam until the vinegar runs out. that should do it.

Blog Entries
    Lots of suggestions on how to clean the iron, but I have one for the "liquid" by the iron.

Get yourself a water bottle that will ONLY hold water meant for the iron. One with a cover on it that you can squirt water out of works great. Then you won't confuse what's in your cup with water meant for the iron.

I hope your iron comes clean and thank you very much for sharing this story with us! :D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattee
    Rinse thoroughly several times with warm water and you should be fine. Test it on scrap fabric first, though, just to be certain. You're not the only person who's done something silly. Don't worry about it.
    Start with mattee's instuctions first, then mine. ;) Try the iron with the steam on first, then iron with it dry. Rinse and dump a few more times.Iron again. An old (solid color) sheet works well for this purpose. Guess how I know all this...lol! I hops you were using an inexpensive iron, they seem to hold up better to senior moments. LOL!

Just keep rinsing. And, don't buy anymore Sprite! LOL

I will try the vinegar, too. Thanks, everyone, for the suggestion. It had sort of crossed my mind but I wasn't sure it would be safe for my iron (which isn't a high $$ one anyway, but I'd rather not have to buy another one)

And do you guys know how glad I am that I'm not the only person who has poured soda in my iron?

yep, rinse and drain several times
    put vinegar (white) in it too
    ya know, they use cola to clean battery terminals
    so i would "thunk", it might be a good thing-lol

As reasonable or cheap irons are now days, I would dump the
    whole iron and get a new one....too much work the other way.

Oh dear, not nice at all. I would rinse the iron out several times with a weak solution of white vinegar and water. The vinegar might help "cut" the sugar, being an acid. i use vinegar a lot for cleaning along with bicarbonate soda.

Maybe1day

I use white vinegar for just about everything. I clean my iron with it regularly.

Mix a solution of 50 percent vinegar and 50 percent water for cleaning the reservoir of your iron. Fill the reservoir with the solution and let it steam for five to six minutes. Turn the iron off, let it cool, and drain the reservoir. Let the iron stand for at least an hour. Repeat the process with water only before using the iron to avoid making your clothes smell like vinegar.

Read more: Homemade Iron Cleaner | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_6193048_home...#ixzz0xfEE0fm5

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast