Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Well I feel like an idiot

SPRITE?? Wowee, hope you can rinse and dump it all out!

Blog Entries
    try vinegar, it cleand very good.

To clean out your iron mix 2 tablespoons of white vinegar in a cup of water. Pour into your iron then put your iron on steam setting. Push the steam button several times to clean out the holes while the mixture cleans out the inside of the iron. Hope this helps you like it did me, I had mineral build up.
    Sincerely Granny J.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterflyblue
    And do you guys know how glad I am that I'm not the only person who has poured soda in my iron?
    Just so it wasn't clorox............................................ ..........

Yep, white vinegar works great. No need to dump the iron. The day it becomes too much trouble to clean an iron is the day I better be 6 feet under. I use white vinegar to clean my washer every few months, my coffee pot once a month, and whatever else I can. Works great.

Fill with water and let it steam for a while if you have a "Burst of Steam" button hit that several times. I like the vinegar suggestions. I use it for EVERYTHINT

aww that would be Everything

I did the same thing to my Iron. I tried everything and it still spit out pop and black specks. I just bought another one and said chalk that one up to stupid!

I did the same thing to my Iron. I tried everything and it still spit out pop and black specks. I just bought another one and said chalk that one up to stupid!

maybe you should drink the caffiene instead of ironing with it! you just have to laugh at yourself sometimes, don't you. i hope you get the iron cleaned out successfully.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ditter43
    :lol: :lol: Sorry, I can't help but laugh! It sounds like something I would do!!
    About time we made you laugh !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaK
    I'm with Texas Granny; vinegar is great and recommended for cleaning irons and coffee pots... Try it and let us know.
    I have tried vinegar to clean my coffee pot. Just be sure to run the next few pots with clear water, I forgot. LOL ...but it didn't seem funny then.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bertadel
    are sewing late at night? I know it's time for me to go to bed when I make silly mistakes.
    No, midmorning, I just wasn't thinking. :oops: I pretty much have banned myself from sewing after 9:00 at night, though. I tend to make a lot of cutting and math mistakes at that point.

By the way, I like the sampler quilt in your avatar.
    Just in case there might be some sugar that doesn't get out or off of the bottom of the iron after you rinse several times, run your iron over a small piece of wax paper and that will help clean the bottom of the iron . For the inside all I would think of is rinse and dump and try to see if you can find something for cleaning irons that you have to pour into them. I saw that a long time ago and haven't been able to find it since. Good luck.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Oh I would be crying I think. I am so sorry. God bless.

Dee
    Use vingar and let it steam away.

Quote Originally Posted by jrhboxers

OH - - you might also want to check with the person qwho takes care of your sewing machine. Most of their techs can also work on irons. Although if the iron is just a regular iron and not one of the really expensive ones, it might be worth it just to pitch the irohn and buy a new one. With me I would probably just buy a new iron and see the $$s as the price for my sanity.

I was thinking this, too; but I hesitated to send it in as a reply thinking the members would think how wasteful I am.

I can understand that, especially since money is tight for all of us. However, we often forget how valuable our time is and if we get frustrated with that "iron" or whatever, it doesn't do any good to keep it and tossing could actually be therapy!! Let's see....how hard can I toss it into the trash bin?
    :lol:

If you feel like an idiot, I know plenty I can send over!

I don't actually throw them away. If they are still heating well but are leaking or spurting in any way, I clean them out and use them as a dry iron. If I have something that may gum up the sole of my "good" iron, I use the old one. I just don't use them for steam anymore. I buy a new one for that. Now do I sound a little better? :o)

Well, I used the vinegar/water solution and steamed it all out. It did seem to get a lot of the gunk out that just rinsing and dumping and steaming with water hadn't gotten.

But WOWEE that vinegar steam will make your eyes water!

So the iron is saved! I don't judge anyone else on what they would have done with their iron, but I'm just to cheap to toss it without trying other stuff first.

Blog Entries
    May I make a quick suggestion for all.Go to Wal Mart and check out their cheap irons. We have our quilting Guild meetings at the Church I attend, with no charge for useage. Where we met before several of us would bring our irons. Since we are able to meet free of charge I didn't want the extra charge added to the elec. bill because irons do draw a lot, especially when constantly turned on for the day. I went to Wal Mart to check on an iron and ironing board to take to the Church to leave for us to use. I found a small portable ironing board and a very inexpensive iron for $7.00. It is a steam iron to boot. I have been thinking of getting the same iron to use for my quilting here at home, so if I did get gunk on it or something happened to it I would not have my good iron messed up. Everyone has really been impressed as to how quickly this little iron heats up and what a good job it does. So we have steam or dry now and no one has to drag along extra things.

Quote Originally Posted by oatw13
    You can also try adding vinegar to the iron and letting it steam out. It will smell a bit. You can steam it out into an old towel. It should remove any sticky build up from the Sprite and any hard water or mineral deposits inside the iron.
    That's what I would recommend. Vinegar will remove hard water scum, so I think it will remove the sugar.

Today I poured about a 1/4 cup of water in my iron and went along my merry way. A few minutes later I noticed a funny smell, but I thought it was some starch that had oversprayed on the ironing board. Later it was worse and I suddenly realized that what I thought was water was flat Sprite.

I rinsed the iron out as well as I could just by pouring water in and dumping it out again, but is there any way to get the inside of the iron clean?
    Thanks for the good laugh. Sounds like something I would do. good to know I am not the only one. Hehehehehe

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3