Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Well, I just ripped to find the edge and am not impressed with the outcome >

Well, I just ripped to find the edge and am not impressed with the outcome

Well, I just ripped to find the edge and am not impressed with the outcome

Old 07-08-2011, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
I have found that you either have straight of grain length wise or cross wise, but not both. The way the fabric is rolled onto the bolt it gets pulled off grain. You will need to tug cross wise to get both to be on grain. I stopped worrying about cross grain and go by length....

Also, DON'T cut before starch! If your fabric is gonna' shrink any at all it will when you get it wet with the starch and iron.... Also, I do not recommend just hand pressing the torn edges before cutting. I don't think you will like the results with your current plan.
Thank you for good tip
Old 07-08-2011, 09:49 AM

I don't worry too much about the straight of grain thing. I have made dozens of quilts, and they all lay nice and flat, including my borders, without me wasting a bunch of time trying to find exact straight of grain. With today's fabrics it's difficult to find it, and it doesn't really matter! I worry more about getting the pattern of the fabric going straight so that overall the pieces will look like they are cut straight. No one is going to be examining the pieces to see if they are cut on straight of grain...not even judges at quilt shows do that!!!

:-)
Old 07-08-2011, 10:00 AM

I just made a pair of Gaucho pants. Somewhere on the way, I lost 3 inches. Patten said it would fit me.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:41 AM

[quote=Butterfli19]
Originally Posted by np3
About your second comment, I thought similarly. Wouldn't it be nice to watch fabric being made? (Maybe something to google.)
Different manufacturers, operators and experience, quality of raw materials, internal quality standards, fabric treatment, storage and in-process handling - all that goes into a bolt of fabric.
Other considerations ... who is operating the machine that day, temperature, when the machine was last PM'd ... sooo many variables which is why all fabric acts differently.

I remember my Junior High School sewing class. Teacher made us pre-wash fabric (providing it was wasable), then bring the fabric in UNCUT and we would use 4 people to take each corner and pull the fabric until the selvedges were straight.

I do believe that washing/drying fabric let's it "find itself" with regard to grain direction. My thought process to stretching the way my teacher instructed is ... when I wash it again it may skew again to "find itself" and now my lone star looks like a spinning star! And now that I think of it ... it's certainly possible that the skirts that I made in class that teacher said were cut wrong (so hung wrong) were cut RIGHT but "found themselves" when laundered. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Dedicated pre-washer, pre-dryer, non ripper, and starcher

Sue
Old 07-08-2011, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by sc-sunshine
Originally Posted by CompulsiveQuilter
I've always been taught to fold and hold the fabric by the selvages at arm's length. Then move it around until the the folded side lays flat, then cut off the sides. It's an "eyeball grain test." Does anybody else do this?

Does this always work? If so that will be my "new" method. ;-)
that is the way i was taught..and give it a big whip first! that was also when i pre washed first. i don't do that anymore either.. :roll:
Old 07-08-2011, 11:08 AM

If it is long and important, cut every piece going the length of the fabric to get the least distortion!
The smaller the cut pieces, the less distortion will matter.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:44 AM

I sometimes lose a few inches as well when I rip. But I pre-wash, rip to get the straight grain line, iron where I ripped if necessary and then rotary cut my fringes off and I am ready to go. I have always done it this way with the exception of my "Therapy Quilt" -with that I just ripped and sewed.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:58 AM

Hmm I just ripped the borders for a quilt and have not problem. It does get wavy but I just iron it smooth. I even ripped the 1.5 inch strips. I just cannot cut straight to save my life I always end up with a V no matter how much smoothing and straightening I do. For small pieces I cut for borders and long pieces I tear. I guess it's what ever works for you.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by CompulsiveQuilter
I've always been taught to fold and hold the fabric by the selvages at arm's length. Then move it around until the the folded side lays flat, then cut off the sides. It's an "eyeball grain test." Does anybody else do this?
Yes I use this method. It sure beats pulling threads in quilting fabric. If I were using a loosely woven fabric, like burlap, I would take the time to pull the thread.
This is the method Ami Sims teaches in her classes. She has the students iron. Not just press, the fabric along the lengthwise grain since it has little to no stretch. The crosswise grain does stretch. We cut our strips on the width of the fabric, cross grain.

Yes I pre wash, but I did not think to do it for two block of the month quilts. Now I hesitate to finish them. I will check some scraps first and then decide what to do.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Butterfli19
First I must say I was very anxious about doing this and should probably have done it with uglier fabric, but the deed is done.

Not impressed.

My straight line is crooked and wavy so now I have to cut more off to make it lay straight. It curles in about 1/2" so that's about 3" I just wasted. I didn't prewash. The selvedge lines up with the other side but not the side I ripped.

Now that this has totally left me shaking my head, I'm going for even more controversial techniques. I'm going to cut my 2-7/8" in strip before ironing, just hand-pressing the wrinkles away. I'm then going to starch the strip with Niagara that I just bought. I'm not going to pre-wash. Just going to cut and sew and press as I go.

I'll let you know how it goes.
Your method is very similar to mine, but I never tear. I guess I spent too much time with my Grandma, who grew up during the depression, and would not waste that much that might keep someone warm. :oops: