Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Well, it won't be done for Christmas morning. >

Well, it won't be done for Christmas morning.

Well, it won't be done for Christmas morning.

Old 12-11-2016, 06:09 PM
Kas

Do you know a longarmer who could baste it for you?
Old 12-11-2016, 06:48 PM

I have spray basted indoors by turning a fan on low just to stir the air. This time of year west a sweater. Sorry for your troubles.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:03 PM

Gosh, I've spray-basted (followed by safety-pinning) many quilts in my basement where I have a very accommodating pingpong table. While I've always moved my sewing machine out of the area, I've figured that any water-soluble spray would be dissolved in my lungs and rendered harmless.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:18 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by tranum View Post
Such a nice and simple pattern! I would love to see some measurements to copy it for a donation quilt. I like to make mine with as few pieces as possible.
My squares in the center this time were cut @ 5.5" sq. The pieced strips up the side and across the top were cut @ 3" wide and many were 8" long. The background strips between them were also 3" wide. The squares for the 9 patch at the top left were cut @ 3" sq. The rest of the background was cut various sizes to create the total size quilt that I wanted.

Jan in VA
Old 12-11-2016, 08:37 PM

Jan, I haven't tried it yet, but on Youtube there is a lady who wraps her quilt on boards. It seems like a great way to do it.
Then there is another lady who spray baste hers on the ironing board and then irons it. It seems like it would be a great way to do it. Check it out before you go to all the trouble (what trouble!) again. Good luck with it!
Old 12-12-2016, 03:34 AM

Now that you know you won't get the perfect mom award, relax and enjoy the process knowing your daughter will love it and she'll be happy to get it when it's ready.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:02 AM

I can only commiserate and maybe a little glue high would be okay. Ha!
Old 12-12-2016, 05:09 AM

I spray baste on my basement floor. When it is really cold...like today, I do not open doors to outside, I just do not breathe the spray. I try not to use too much. The cement floor just mops up. You could wear a mask, and tape newspaper around your quilt to prevent overspray if you don't have a large open area. My ceilings in our basement are 10 feet high. Hate crawling around on the floor, but this works best for me. Enjoy your eggnog!
Old 12-12-2016, 05:12 AM

I use the spray basting as well but very lightly...I pin all the way around the edges after I get it smoothed out ...then ironing is a must, both the top and back...you will be adjusting the pins as you smooth it...make sure you have left a good amount of backing fabric on the edges for that....as I quilt I check from time to time to see how it's looking...even take it off the machine and iron again if need be....good luck with your project.....
Old 12-12-2016, 05:17 AM

I also use the glue. I heat up a cup of water in the microwave then let the glue bottle sit in it for a few minutes. Helps make it flow quicker and easier. Be sure to put the glue onto the batting not the fabric! I do iron mine to make it go faster and any glue on the iron simply washes off with water. I usually do it on a large plastic table and keep it moving across the table so it is easier on the back and the knees. Love it so much I bough a gallon of glue to refill my bottles.