Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
westalee templates? >

westalee templates?

westalee templates?

Old 03-06-2017, 05:04 PM
Power Poster

I don't think I have ever heard of a quilter getting good at FMQ without practice. Is it frustrating? Sure. Does it get better? Absolutely. And one day you'll realize that you are no longer scared of this FMQ thing and you will sore. Hang in there.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:25 PM

I just signed up for Amy Johnson's craftsy class on using rulers. It's normally $39.99 but on sale right now for $19.99.
I'm going to go through the class & then decide if I want to order rulers/supplies. I believe this is the best approach for me right now.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by osewme View Post
I just signed up for Amy Johnson's craftsy class on using rulers. It's normally $39.99 but on sale right now for $19.99.
I'm going to go through the class & then decide if I want to order rulers/supplies. I believe this is the best approach for me right now.
This is kind of where I am headed at the moment. My LQS is offering a ruler class for Bernina's. I'm going to pop in there to see if I can monitor that class (for a fee) to see what it's all about.
Old 03-08-2017, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
This is kind of where I am headed at the moment. My LQS is offering a ruler class for Bernina's. I'm going to pop in there to see if I can monitor that class (for a fee) to see what it's all about.

Do it! It's a fantastic class and so is her second one.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by JudyG View Post
I just spent 3 days at a "Ruler Camp" working with the Westalee rulers and foot. I also have a Brother 1500 and had the exact same issues all 3 days. And I tried everything I could think of and nothing helped. Now that I am back home, my machine will be going in for servicing so I can find out what is causing these problems. Because I wanted the practice using the rulers while I was at the camp, I continued on, but now I will be taking out all that stitching because it is a mess on the back (the fronts don't look too bad) and it was a quilt-as-you go project and I want the backs looking good too. So I will be getting additional practice with the rulers after my machine comes home from servicing. I will let you know what the tech guy as to say about what's causing the problems. I really like what you can do with these rulers. We did some amazing stuff. Just have to figure out how to make it all look good. Even with the Westalee foot on, I could do free motion quilting with no problems, but when I tried to use the rulers is when I had issues. Drove me nuts for 3 whole days!
I'm working on my own. I have some rather strange problems with the spinning type templates. There are 8 loops, but I only get seven. I will get the same result using a pencil washer, the spinner and paper. I think that no matter how hard I try, the fabric is pulling on the thumbtack and distorting. But getting the same result on paper using the pencil washer thing, and a pushpin stuck into a big pad of newsprint, has me scratching my head a bit. It's hard to put any more sandpaper dots, Westalee's strips, or any others on the templates as to where the markings are.

I'll play with it again, later.

I got seven loops on the wallhanging, the backs look OK, and so do the fronts. Think I'll leave them and try one more in the center of the wallhanging. None of the other rulers are giving me fits. The small Celtic ruler did, but I went over the loops with a colored pencil on the pattern and it made sense. The small Celtic ruler does not use a rotating pin.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Weezy Rider View Post
Do it! It's a fantastic class and so is her second one.
Weezy, are you familiar with my LQS? And that class specifically or are you thinking of something different? If it's this shop specifically, I agree the instructor is an excellent quilter and an excellent teacher as well. Two of the reasons I'm interested in this class.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:32 PM

I am on the 4th Craftsy Class lesson with Amy Johnson. I did not buy all the rulers, so don't know how far I am going to get on the rest of the lessons.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
Weezy, are you familiar with my LQS? And that class specifically or are you thinking of something different? If it's this shop specifically, I agree the instructor is an excellent quilter and an excellent teacher as well. Two of the reasons I'm interested in this class.
No. Taking classes from Craftsy, but she didn't cover Westalee Spinners. There are videos, but I don't like videos.
Some of the Craftsy classes have transcripts, and I think they all should. Deaf and hard of hearing people can quilt. I'm not deaf or hard of hearing, I can just read faster than people talk. I want to get on with experimenting with lesson.

I like challenges. I finally bought some of the clear grippers and found spaces to put those on the bottom. Small enough to fit, but large enough to grip. It was the bottom of the template around the thumbtack that was sliding.

I left the 7 branched designs alone. Stitching is good and they look just fine. No one is really going to count the branches. But it bugged me until I solved it. Now I know. Same with the small Celtic ruler. You can't rotate it like the large one that Amy Johnson uses as it doesn't have the center pin.

Now since I have so many more ways to quilt, I'm going to have to learn how to think in quilting design. I still like the way my grandmother did it, and the usual free motion isn't conducive to that. She did separate patterns like Baptist fan and churn dash as quilting. Not stippling. Those old patterns for hand quilting are still being sold.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:10 AM

Wish my LQS was offering the class. I have some of the Westalee rulers & love them. For sure take the class.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:58 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by osewme View Post
I was lucky to get that class for free some weeks back. I really need to sit down and go through it!.