Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What about quilting/piecing do you prefer/not prefer? >

What about quilting/piecing do you prefer/not prefer?

What about quilting/piecing do you prefer/not prefer?

Old 07-03-2017, 04:57 AM

I really despise basting. I've tried so many different methods and still struggle. Last night I pin basted a 48-inch square quilt. You might think that would be easy, right? Nope. The backing has a print that makes it obvious if the edges are not lined up. I clipped the backing, batting and top to the dining room table. I pinned it to with an each of it's life. Took it off the table and one corner was not right! I think I have straightened it out this morning.

I've only paper-pieced one small bit. It seems so fiddly. Maybe if I was organized and got going it might not be too bad.

I love all fabric. I love machine piecing and machine quilting. I have recently started loving hand quilting and hand piecing. I like applique. I even don't mind binding. I use the machine to attach the binding and then hand sew it down. I like traditional designs and modern designs. It's just that basting that makes me upset.
Old 07-03-2017, 05:08 AM

I guess only 99% of quilters have likes and dislikes of the hobby. I'm one of the 99%.
I dislike having to drive to where I rent a LA and quilt it there. I'd like to have my own machine.

I LOVE the hand binding to finish up a quilt. It's the last bit of love that I can put into a quilt and it keeps me warm whilst I do it! Love that!

I love pics I get from recipients (with or wrapped up in their quilt) months or even years later after a quilt was gifted.

I love seeing the fire in a newbie's eyes when working on a quilt together!
Old 07-03-2017, 07:43 AM

So far (up until recently) I've loved everything about piecing and quilting except maybe hand stitching binding down, which I do anyway because I like the way it looks. But recently I bought a kit to make the bust of a horse for a friend as a surprise. Never again! I call it quilt by number(almost all applique). It is going to be beautiful when done, but what a pain in the arse!
Old 07-03-2017, 10:38 AM
Power Poster

There is very little I don't like and I try to not plan those dislikes into my projects.
Sometimes I get caught up in the excitement of new gadgets and then find out how I either didn't need it or won't use it after the purchase. That's easy - pass it on.
I will try new techniques to see if they fit. If they do, I will incorporate them. If not, it was worth the try.
Not every Craftsy class has been a winner but generally, I learned at least one thing so it was worth the money.
I don't like sloppy workmanship and try really hard to do the best I can manage. This is a good thing to know when it comes to swaps. Not everyone needs to have their points meet and that's OK for them - just not for me.
I love the friendships I've made in the quilting community online and the inspiration that comes with all the posts and pictures.
I wish I had more time for my craft.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:58 AM

there's not much I dislike about quilting--- probably not having enough room in my studio would be top of my list.

I get bored with piecing if it involves doing the same thing over and over, and I don't enjoy following patterns as much as I enjoy designing my own, or just diving in and working without anything pre-planned (which I think is lots of fun) but basically, I enjoy petting my fabric, designing, shopping my stash, using my scraps, making crumb fabric, sandwiching and quilting. Oh, ironing is not my favorite thing...

and I really, really love finishing up a UFO

Rob
Old 07-03-2017, 12:21 PM
Power Poster

I tend to do the double slice quilt from Jenny Doan (MSQC). Fast and easy. I do lots of different patterns. Really don't mess with patterns out of my quilting books. Would never do PP and circles. Not for me.

I love everything about quilting. I don't have any unfinished quilts at all.
Old 07-03-2017, 02:41 PM

Can't wrap my head around paper piecing. I find it really frustrating and yet I love the results.
It takes me a long time to get around to hand sewing my bindings. They tend to pile up.
I love FMQ-ing and piecing and cutting.

Watson
Old 07-04-2017, 02:11 AM

I'm in line with Popover's post... and I do enjoy everything about quilting...just some things I enjoy more than others. I just wish I had more time to sew/quilt.
Old 07-04-2017, 03:10 AM

There is not much I don't like about quilting but I love binding. In fact I have a friend, like yourself, who hates binding so I do all hers. Pity you do not live closer because I would love to do yours also. Love Anne
Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
I like it all from paper piecing to curves to applique. The only thing I really dislike is binding. If I could hand that part off to someone else I would
Old 07-04-2017, 04:53 AM

The last quilt I made had some really nice things in it: the medallion center, some cute blocks and a very complicated border. After I had those things made I had to put it together, and get it done by a deadline. I needed to rip out a section and replace it with different fabric. I was beginning to feel like a slave to my quilt. But I finished and got the blue ribbon!