Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Accuquilt dies for Bonnie Hunter >

What Accuquilt dies for Bonnie Hunter

What Accuquilt dies for Bonnie Hunter

Old 09-24-2018, 04:01 AM

Default Dies I have purchased.

Originally Posted by Terry in the ADK View Post
Accuquilt dies are on sale right now. In preparation for this years BH mystery quilt, I wonder if there are specific dies which would work. After 4 hand surgeries ( all rather minor but still) I justified getting a Go Big so I want to make sure I can use it for this years quilt. Are there specific ones which seem to work on her quilts?
TIA
I have purchased basic hst's, qst's, and squares based on the units that we've made for Bonnie's quilts such as the 3" finished hst and triangle in a square. Lots of her units finish at 3", using 3.5 and 2 inch strips. Grab a pencil and paper and read through some of her free patterns, then check the accuquilt site against your list of unit sizes. Check the qube lists of dies against your list and see if those basic shapes will work. It's taken me a few years to collect the dies tha I can use for a Bonnie quilt, but I had my Baby way before the Qubes came out, they're nice sets of basic shapes.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:21 AM

Sorry I can't answer your question, but you have had some good suggestions in reviewing her past mystery and sizes of dies etc. used. Having said that I cannot say enough about Accuquilt. I was gifted the Go Big last year for Xmas
and have started cutting the small tumbler blocks for a king sized quilt plus the church dash and snowball and some 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 squares and it is fantastic. Their service is outstanding. I had some problems with my unit and when I called them and they tried to work me thru the problem and we couldn't seem to get it to work, they shipped me a new unit and it arrived in two days and I hadn't even boxed my old one up yet. They sent the label and everything needed for the return so it didn't cost me anything to return it. Turns out it was probably working after we did the hard reset but compared to the way it had been working it did not appear to be. Long story short, it most likely hadn't worked quite right (but still good) since I got it. The new unit is so much quieter and smoother than the first one. They have been a joy to work with and as I said I can't say enough good things about them and the time it saves in cutting is amazing and the accuracy of the finished block is outstanding as well. Well worth the investment to own one and the electric solves the arm use problem as well, and is well worth the extra cost.

Accuquilt dies are on sale right now. In preparation for this years BH mystery quilt, I wonder if there are specific dies which would work. After 4 hand surgeries ( all rather minor but still) I justified getting a Go Big so I want to make sure I can use it for this years quilt. Are there specific ones which seem to work on her quilts?
TIA
Old 09-24-2018, 01:52 PM

I love my Studio and have the Go! as well. Looking forward to her new mystery this November. Sorry cant help you with what dies she might use.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:31 PM

Bonnie who?
Old 09-24-2018, 03:00 PM
Power Poster

Bonnie Hunter does scrappy quilt designs and has a free mystery scrap quilt every fall. All her quilt blocks have lots of pieces. Very scrappy but controlled.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:39 AM

I was in Joanns a few days ago and they were closing out the qccuquilt items, no sign, but another customer told me. The checkout clerk said she doesn't know why or if it is just that store, but they were around 40% off.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:02 AM
Power Poster

Joann has clearanced out the dies. Even the die cut machines. They were 50% for a long time. The few dies that are left are kept behind the register at the store here. I know one woman who hit all the Joann stores within 100 miles the the first weekend to buy all the Go machines and cube sets each had. She got most of them. She has resold all of on Ebay and made enough over expenses to buy the new Studio Die machine and dies.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:54 AM

The dies are on sale at on the Accuquilt website Accu quilt.com I think. If you have not signed up for their newsletter yet I recommend you do so. I get some sort of message every day but it helps me to keep remembering I have the machine. I love it .
I have the 8 inch block is it worth also getting a 6 inch block?
I have signed up for their newsletter and rarely get an email from them. Wrote to them yesterday to inquire about how often they send out emails. I just do not get them, hope they can figure out why.
Old 09-27-2018, 12:29 PM

I’ve had my Go! Longer than the cubes have been around, so haven’t bothered with the cubes. I prefer to buy the individual dies I want rather than the small dies that come in the cubes. If you like Bonnie quilts, I would focus on getting HST and QST dies. I have strip dies, but usually just use my Shape cut for cutting strips. The first quilt I used the go a lot for was Grand Illusion. I cut hundreds of HSTs on the value die, one square at a pass. So I bought the die that cuts 9 2.5” HSTs, she hasn’t used that size again. You just never know what she will use. Just get the ones you think you will use the most. I have nearly 100 dies after collecting them for quite a few years now. They do help a lot with Bonnie quilts. Last year I could cut each week in an hour or so while people rotary cutting were spending a day or 2 cutting. I also love my Go! For odd shaped quilts, like the winding ways I’m working on right now. I would hate to rotary cut this one. I cut it out in about 10 minutes. Enjoy your Go!
Old 10-01-2018, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Sheryllyn View Post
I have the Ready Set Go set which came with a 2 1/2 strip die the 8” qube & the cutting mats for both. I have since bought the 5” square, which I love especially for the charm swap, the Ohio Star die & the 4” finished HST die. I love my accuquilt!!
Is there only a single 5” square or do they have a die that has multiples on it?
Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
If it's like last year, she won't post the Accuquilt dies used. So you'll have to figure it out as she releases the clues or wait until all released to cut. The suggestion to purchase the 6" Qube is probably best, as she uses a lot of pieces in a 10 or 12" block!
Do the 12” blocks finish at 12 or 12 1/2? As in doing 121/2 inch unfinished blocks for swaps and booms?