Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What am I  going to do with these??????? >

What am I going to do with these???????

What am I going to do with these???????

Old 12-11-2012, 07:23 AM

I have seen a beautiful bedspread made with these and also place mats and a table runner. Good luck. They were sewn together by hand along the edge attaching one to another. Time consuming, but I don't see why it couldn't be done on a machine.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:23 AM

I was at a friend's house recently and she showed me a quilt in a bedroom that she called her "grandmother's room". It had vintage furniture, lamps, etc..... a lot of things from her parents and grandparents era that were passed down to her. On the bed was a yo-yo quilt. Her grandmother had taken yo-yo's and sewed them together. Looked like just a few whip stitches that you could see on each "side" of the yo-yo. It was on a double sized bed and she had a white sheet under that showed thru between all the yo-yo's. It was stunning. The fabric was very interesting to examine. Probably a lot of old flour & sugar sacks. Good luck and let us know what you do with it.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:32 AM

You can make

Quilts
Coverlets
Bodices for granddaughter's dresses
Vests
Place mats
Pot holders
Picture frames
wall hangings
(and a few dozen more not coming to mind just yet)
or do what I'm in the process of-----------------------add to a sweatshirt for decoration
Old 12-11-2012, 07:55 AM

Here's a photo of my yo-yo quilt. I tied the yo-yos to a sheet.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...ilt-t1959.html
Just wanted to add, this is not something you will sleep under! It makes a very heavy quilt and is somewhat delicate.

I decorated a t-shirt one year. I stitched the yo-yos on in the shape of a tree. That shirt sagged so bad. Those little yo-yos were just too heavy. Perhaps if I'd made them smaller!
Old 12-11-2012, 07:56 AM

I would love a yoyo quilt! It looks like you're well on you way to having one. It would be very pretty. You could also make a table runner or placemats. Use them as "appliques" on baby quilts. There are endless uses for yoyos!
Old 12-11-2012, 08:10 AM

Trim a sweatshirt for that GD. Make a feedbag tote for her to match. Or make them for you and use them when you go and stay next time in the hospital with her. I find hospitals are very chilly.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:35 AM
Power Poster

you could cover pillows with them or tote bags. even doll clothes or bear's vests maybe. or maybe since it's xmas time, make garlands out of them..
Old 12-11-2012, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by quilttiger View Post
I just Googled yo-yo quilts and some websites came up. There is one filled with images of different yo-yo quilts...really neat pictures. Bet if you went in, you will find some ideas you can use. Good luck!
I think the above idea is great! I google what I am looking for and then on the left side of the screen is "images" and I click on that and lots of images (pictures) will show up. I did a pillow using yo-yos for basket with handle and flower heads from I believe an old American Patchwork and Quilting magazine. Good luck!
Old 12-11-2012, 08:45 AM

So sorry to hear about your Granddaughter I've had Crohn's since I was 13- I'm 57 now, but in remission for the past 15 years.)

I recently saw a tutorial by Zena Thorpe where yo-yo's were used as flowers by stitching up through the middle and then around the outside, tighten a bit and do another section. 5 petals are the usual, they made pretty applique flowers. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K4ckd5MlyY
Old 12-11-2012, 09:31 AM

You could make a heart shaped pillow and glue them on or do a lap quilt for her.