Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What attributes does a really great scrappy have? >

What attributes does a really great scrappy have?

What attributes does a really great scrappy have?

Old 03-17-2017, 07:33 AM
Power Poster

I am sure it will depend on who you ask! To me a scrappy is open my scrap box and start sewing.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:40 AM

I like white in my scrappy quilts, but I don't control the scraps except to make sure each block has a nice variety of color.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]569982[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails scrappy.jpg  
Old 03-17-2017, 08:59 AM

I think having contrast between the patches defines the block more than anything.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:39 AM
Power Poster

To see scrappy quilt gallery go to

Home:

Pictures:
Sticky: Quilt Gallery

First post is by Cat- on- a- mac: Click on highlighted word " here", and it will take you to all styles of quilts to look at.

Hope it helps and inspires.

here is one of my most recent scrappy quilts. Lights and dark of all styles of fabric.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]569983[/ATTACH]

peace
Attached Thumbnails dsc07694.jpg  
Old 03-17-2017, 02:02 PM

Don't forget to be aware of contrast in the darkness or lightness of your fabrics as you create you quilt.
If I work from my own scraps I can see my fabric preference but I can let go if I am working from others LOL

Check out quilts made by Bonnie Hunter at Quiltville.com to see quilts that have all kinds of fabrics tossed together and turning out beautifully
Old 03-17-2017, 03:29 PM

The scrappies that most appeal to me are the ones where there is some continuity. Like some have a certain color piece at the same position in each block, or separated by the same color throughout, or the sashing is all one unifying color, or the whole thing is done in one to three color families. I hope is is helpful....
Old 03-17-2017, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
I think that many quilters are drawn to certain colors or lines of fabric. I think that is why their scraps may be more cohesive. That's not the way I roll. I collect scraps from many sources and have a stash collected over many years. I think that is why my scrappies are more varied in fabrics. Here are two of my latest http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...g-t286754.html and http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...r-t286703.html
Love your Tumbler quilts! My Christmas present was a Sizzix, so far I've done 3 Tumbler baby quilts, so much fun! I use the rickrack stitch between the blocks.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:08 PM

I believe some people are just not able to handle randomness. I am one of those. I like Jeanne S's term "controlled scrappies." I find it totally impossible to operate without some kind of organizing principle. If I were you, I would develop an organizing principle to make it easier to put the quilt together. Whatever that principle is will depend on your personal taste in color and contrast. I sincerely doubt there is right way and wrong way; rather it depends solely on your likes and dislikes.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
To me, the best looking scrappiest are 'controlled' scrappies---they have have something that ties them together in a broad look. For example, they are primarily dark jewel tones, or light pastels, or bright primary colors. I guess the type or style of print doesn't matter as much as the overall color theme. I have just never been able to put a "true random" scrappy quilt together.
That's exactly how I see it. For me, a jumble of random colors just doesn't seem to do much for any of them. I just finished a red and blue quilt. Not sure if there was any contrast in value, as the fabrics were intense and seemed to vibrate against each other, but the there was an overall theme and it feels like a single piece of art.

hugs,
Charlotte
Old 03-17-2017, 05:55 PM

mea, you may have more lights in your stash than you realize. Think of neutrals as anything lighter than a brown paper bag, also anything small print with white as the background.